The Student Room Group

changing driving instructors?

I've been learning to drive now for 5 months almost and have had about 30 hours of lessons.
For the first 10 lessons all i did was go around the industrial estate, doing a few small roundabouts. The next 5 lessons i started doing proper roundabouts, but was only on the main road to go round the roundabout and back into the industrial estate. After these 15 lessons i finally got out on the roads and drove around the main rounds throughout my lesson.
Despite being able to drive around town fine im still not driving myself home?
I've only recently started doing things like simple parking
A few of my friends who started driving a month or so after me have passed their tests with a different instructor.
I dont really like my instructor since he's very slow moving me forwards
Is it too late to change or is it a bit risky now as i'll need to get used to a new car?
Original post by MFTV
I've been learning to drive now for 5 months almost and have had about 30 hours of lessons.
For the first 10 lessons all i did was go around the industrial estate, doing a few small roundabouts. The next 5 lessons i started doing proper roundabouts, but was only on the main road to go round the roundabout and back into the industrial estate. After these 15 lessons i finally got out on the roads and drove around the main rounds throughout my lesson.
Despite being able to drive around town fine im still not driving myself home?
I've only recently started doing things like simple parking
A few of my friends who started driving a month or so after me have passed their tests with a different instructor.
Is it too late to change or is it a bit risky now as i'll need to get used to a new car?

Never to late to change. I started learning October 2018, hated my instructor so 4 months later I changed mine in Feb 2019. Much better instructed but found out we needed to start off from the basics and my old one had taught me wrong ! Ended up passing first time in August with only 2 minors. Just change you won’t regret it
Original post by MFTV

When I was an instructor, I had one pupil who took 13 lessons before he was able to change up to 3rd gear and back down to 2nd before turning a corner. This though is a very rare occurrence and the lad did had some learning difficulties.

Do you feel that you're having problems yourself?

There are many instructors out there who are totally incompetent and unfortunately learner drivers generally have no idea about whether they are receiving proper training and regularly get ripped off. By the sounds of it you appear to be being taken for a ride and you should definitely try another instructor. Read this article
Original post by Don L Gates
When I was an instructor, I had one pupil who took 13 lessons before he was able to change up to 3rd gear and back down to 2nd before turning a corner. This though is a very rare occurrence and the lad did had some learning difficulties.

Do you feel that you're having problems yourself?

There are many instructors out there who are totally incompetent and unfortunately learner drivers generally have no idea about whether they are receiving proper training and regularly get ripped off. By the sounds of it you appear to be being taken for a ride and you should definitely try another instructor. Read this article

Terrific article Don :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending