How important is sport in a Personal Statement? Watch

zazzy.r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello pals, I have lots of super/ extra-curriculars (I can list them if necessary), but I'm worried that I don't really have sports, and have searched in vain for a sports team near me. I would play football if I had free choice, but my one club option is at school and very much aimed at younger year groups (and no, none of my friends will join me, I've asked). I could work my way up to doing parkrun? But does that count?
I'm in Year 12 atm but if it helps, thinking of applying to:
Durham
Oxford
York
Exeter
Bristol
but equally maybe Lancaster, which I've not really looked into! Also Sussex is a possibility as a safer option but yes that's not the point of the question

Advice is appreciated!!! thank you
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zazzy.r)
Hello pals, I have lots of super/ extra-curriculars (I can list them if necessary), but I'm worried that I don't really have sports, and have searched in vain for a sports team near me. I would play football if I had free choice, but my one club option is at school and very much aimed at younger year groups (and no, none of my friends will join me, I've asked). I could work my way up to doing parkrun? But does that count?
Durham
Oxford
York
Exeter
Bristol
but equally maybe Lancaster, which I've not really looked into! Also Sussex is a possibility as a safer option but yes that's not the point of the question

You don't have to be sporty to get into a good uni - not everyone is. They are much more interested in super/extra curriculars so don't worry about it
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Durham
Oxford
York
Exeter
Bristol

What subject are you planning on applying for?

Unless you're thinking of applying for sports science, unis won't care if you play sport or not. They want to see an interest in your subject both inside and out of the classroom, and a strong academic profile.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Virtually irrelevant.
zazzy.r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
What subject are you planning on applying for?

Unless you're thinking of applying for sports science, unis won't care if you play sport or not. They want to see an interest in your subject both inside and out of the classroom, and a strong academic profile.
English lmao, idk I just feel less well rounded maybe?

Thank you everyone!!!!!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
English lmao, idk I just feel less well rounded maybe?

Thank you everyone!!!!!
Read more books, go to poetry readings, go to see plays, watch tv/film adaptions, listen to radio adaptations and podcasts.

Universities don’t give a crap about your hobbies if they aren’t linked to your subject.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Durham
Oxford
York
Exeter
Bristol

Hello,
Just remember it's not about listing lots of extra-curricular things, but it's about what you've learnt from them and how they're furthered your interest in studying English at university! Listing sports without any relevance to your course is not useful so being able to describe the things you've done in a way that's relevant to your course is what's important!
I had no sports to mention in my personal statement and still got offers!
Let me know if you have any questions,
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Durham
Oxford
York
Exeter
Bristol

For top Unis they care first and foremost about your ability and potential in the subject you’re applying for. Sports is virtually irrelevant, unless you’re literally at the very top level or representing your country or something, in which case a few lines on it may be worthwhile. Otherwise, in your personal statement you only really need a small paragraph on everything extra-curricular, including all your volunteering and other non-academic things you’ve done, so you’ll need to be selective and really make sure you focus on academics rather than other things. Good luck!
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Durham
Oxford
York
Exeter
Bristol

Hi! I'm in year 13 and applied to Durham, Oxford, Exeter, Sussex and Manchester. I had nothing sporty at all on my personal statement and the only two things I wrote on my personal statament that were extracurricular as opposed to supercurricular was NCS and RAF air cadets. Loaaads of people have done NCS, and a lot of people have been a cadet at some point. And yet, I still got an offer from all 5 .... they definitely don't care!!

(I did actually get asked about air cadets in one of my Oxford interviews, but she was just intrigued as to whether we flew planes or not- icebreaker question!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads