Is it worth resitting maths to go to my dream uni? Watch

camcole44
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Okay so I got an offer from Newcastle uni a few months ago. One of the conditions was to resit GCSE maths and get a grade B. My tutor is currently trying to persuade them to accept me anyway, but I’m almost 100% certain it isn’t going to work. Part of me really wants to go to Newcastle & has been googling like mad GCSE maths tutors. But another part of me feels like I’m clearly not smart enough to go to there and should just go to Northumbria instead. I’m planning on going to the open day and seeing what it’s like for myself. Should I consider resitting GCSE maths or is it a waste of time? It’s the only condition I don’t meet, but on the other hand, I’m pretty sh*t at maths and wouldn’t get a B anyway. Is a psychology degree from Newcastle more valuable than one from Northumbria? What do you think?
Last edited by camcole44; 1 week ago
PlantsGalore74
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I say you retake the GCSE! You may surprise yourself and get a B!

Place Northumbria as your insurance. Newcastle does go through clearing so you may have another shot that way too in case things don't go so well!
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by camcole44)
Okay so I got an offer from Newcastle uni a few months ago. One of the conditions was to resit GCSE maths and get a grade B. My tutor is currently trying to persuade them to accept me anyway, but I’m almost 100% certain it isn’t going to work. Part of me really wants to go to Newcastle & has been googling like mad GCSE maths tutors. But another part of me feels like I’m clearly not smart enough to go to there and should just go to Northumbria instead. I’m planning on going to the open day and seeing what it’s like for myself. Should I consider resitting GCSE maths or is it a waste of time? It’s the only condition I don’t meet, but on the other hand, I’m pretty sh*t at maths and wouldn’t get a B anyway. Is a psychology degree from Newcastle more valuable than one from Northumbria? What do you think?
Where universities have a Maths GCSE grade set it is because it is needed for the course. It is highly unlikely you will get in without it. You will find many leading universities insist on Maths at grade B for Psychology. Bath require an A. The choose is yours whether to resit but without retaking it you are not likely to get into most leading universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.32%
No (183)
32.68%

Watched Threads