The Student Room Group

Lack of motivation!!

Hi guys, I'm 16 and in my last year of high school. Since a young age I have always been a high flyer in terms of my academic skills, however as my GCSE's get closer and closer, I'm seriously lacking motivation. I just can't be bothered. I am predicted to get at least 7's and 8's (A's and A*s) in all my subjects but in my most recents sets of mocks (December) I got all grades 5's and 6's (C's and B's). I was really disappointed, (as I know I can do better) but at the same time i wasn't surprised because I did no revision whatsoever. All my teachers have applauded me somewhat about my high grades despite me having done no revision, but have advised me that if I start revision I will almost certainly get the grades I should be getting... But i just can't get out of my lazy mindset and it's really frustrating meeee!! Please help!! xx
Same, you just got to power throuhg, possibly not the best advice. but, i have 0 motivation. i havnt been in college for a while but im still getting top grades you really just gotsta like force yourself. Try and help a low achieving friend, that helps me - somewhat.
Reply 2
Original post by josephine130801
Same, you just got to power throuhg, possibly not the best advice. but, i have 0 motivation. i havnt been in college for a while but im still getting top grades you really just gotsta like force yourself. Try and help a low achieving friend, that helps me - somewhat.

That is actually what I ahve been doing. Helping some of my mates ahs really like, got me in the mood but I sorta just lose my concentration as soon as they understand what it is that I'm teaching them.
It might have been that you burnt yourself out by doing too much work. Relax for a bit and then try to get back into it.
Reply 4
Original post by adhfdhdfhf
It might have been that you burnt yourself out by doing too much work. Relax for a bit and then try to get back into it.

I get what you're saying and I have taken a bit of a break over the xmas period, but it's february now and im still not back into my studying yet...
Original post by Jade2019
I get what you're saying and I have taken a bit of a break over the xmas period, but it's february now and im still not back into my studying yet...

I think you just have to build a habit. I don't necessarily have a driving force to revise, but I would feel guilty if I didn't. Make a plan, and stick to it. If you miss a day just keep going because there's always a chance to make it up. Have you made a revision schedule/calendar?
Reply 6
Original post by oliviacarmen3
I think you just have to build a habit. I don't necessarily have a driving force to revise, but I would feel guilty if I didn't. Make a plan, and stick to it. If you miss a day just keep going because there's always a chance to make it up. Have you made a revision schedule/calendar?

I haven't written it down but I have got one in my head. I never stick to it though. Should I write it down? Do you think I will be more likely to stick to it that way?
I haven't written it down but I have got one in my head. I never stick to it though. Should I write it down? Do you think I will be more likely to stick to it that way?

Definitely!! That way you know you won't miss anything and also ticking things off is really satisfying. Honestly the only reason I revise is so that I can finally cross it off my list lol. Write a list of all the things you need to cover and how you want to cover them (for example 'make chemistry chapter 6 flashcards'), and then get/draw a calendar and fit one thing in each day.
Reply 8
Hi guys, I'm 16 and in my last year of high school. Since a young age I have always been a high flyer in terms of my academic skills, however as my GCSE's get closer and closer, I'm seriously lacking motivation. I just can't be bothered. I am predicted to get at least 7's and 8's (A's and A*s) in all my subjects but in my most recents sets of mocks (December) I got all grades 5's and 6's (C's and B's). I was really disappointed, (as I know I can do better) but at the same time i wasn't surprised because I did no revision whatsoever. All my teachers have applauded me somewhat about my high grades despite me having done no revision, but have advised me that if I start revision I will almost certainly get the grades I should be getting... But i just can't get out of my lazy mindset and it's really frustrating meeee!! Please help!! xx

Hey! I'm basically in the exact same position and i really don't understand why I'm lacking motivation because exams are SO CLOSE. This kinda worked for me, but I tired scaring myself into doing revision by writing out when all my exams were (making me realise that they aren't a whole reality away, which I still feel like they are). Study youtubers have actually been useful for me in the past, so I might start utilising them more often now. I find the real time study with me's more useful as literally the sounds of someone revising in the background can be motivating (I'd recommend unjaded jade)! I guess another thing that somewhat motivated me is the fact that I can't let these past 4 years of hard work go to waste- I owe it to myself. Genuinely, all the best of luck to you and hope we're both able to get out of this slump because it is too frustrating :/
Reply 9
Original post by oliviacarmen3
Definitely!! That way you know you won't miss anything and also ticking things off is really satisfying. Honestly the only reason I revise is so that I can finally cross it off my list lol. Write a list of all the things you need to cover and how you want to cover them (for example 'make chemistry chapter 6 flashcards'), and then get/draw a calendar and fit one thing in each day.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'll definitely do that... Thank you!!
Reply 10
Original post by m0rb
Hey! I'm basically in the exact same position and i really don't understand why I'm lacking motivation because exams are SO CLOSE. This kinda worked for me, but I tired scaring myself into doing revision by writing out when all my exams were (making me realise that they aren't a whole reality away, which I still feel like they are). Study youtubers have actually been useful for me in the past, so I might start utilising them more often now. I find the real time study with me's more useful as literally the sounds of someone revising in the background can be motivating (I'd recommend unjaded jade)! I guess another thing that somewhat motivated me is the fact that I can't let these past 4 years of hard work go to waste- I owe it to myself. Genuinely, all the best of luck to you and hope we're both able to get out of this slump because it is too frustrating :/

OMIGOSH!! Thank god im not the only one!! We are only getting our exam timetables after half term but I will definitely write them all out. The thing is i always just find myself being tired... Like I wake up at 6:30, leave my house at 7:30 so that I make it to school on time, then I finish school at 3 but there are literally compulsory sessions after school everyday so I don't finish until like 4:10 and then im only getting home at about 5. By that times I have to sort out my tea, have a shower, do some household chores etc, etc, and by the time i actually get some free time it's about 7/8 o'clock. At that point I'm sosososo tired and just want to go to bed but there's always homework that needs to be done which takes me a while and by the time I've finished it's like 9:30/10 o'clock and i'm falling asleep... there just aren't enough hours in the day :frown:
A-level student here so been through GCSEs last year. There’s no way to really gain motivation other that just pushing through. The way your brains designed means that the part of your brain that’s responsible for pleasure is much stronger than the part that’s for setting and achieving goals. The goal setting part needs a kick start in order to get going, so if you end up sitting doing nothing hoping at one point you’ll get up, you’ll never get up without making that conscious decision. Often after getting stuck headfirst into the work, the desire not to do it goes away. Seriously, the best thing you can do is get stuck in. A thing that I felt helped was looking at other people’s successes or hearing my friends or parents expectations of me. I know that sounds a lot like pressure but some pressure is healthy and it might kickstart productivity.
Reply 12
Original post by Jessie03
A-level student here so been through GCSEs last year. There’s no way to really gain motivation other that just pushing through. The way your brains designed means that the part of your brain that’s responsible for pleasure is much stronger than the part that’s for setting and achieving goals. The goal setting part needs a kick start in order to get going, so if you end up sitting doing nothing hoping at one point you’ll get up, you’ll never get up without making that conscious decision. Often after getting stuck headfirst into the work, the desire not to do it goes away. Seriously, the best thing you can do is get stuck in. A thing that I felt helped was looking at other people’s successes or hearing my friends or parents expectations of me. I know that sounds a lot like pressure but some pressure is healthy and it might kickstart productivity.

Ye, I think you're right... thank youuu
Reply 13
OMIGOSH!! Thank god im not the only one!! We are only getting our exam timetables after half term but I will definitely write them all out. The thing is i always just find myself being tired... Like I wake up at 6:30, leave my house at 7:30 so that I make it to school on time, then I finish school at 3 but there are literally compulsory sessions after school everyday so I don't finish until like 4:10 and then im only getting home at about 5. By that times I have to sort out my tea, have a shower, do some household chores etc, etc, and by the time i actually get some free time it's about 7/8 o'clock. At that point I'm sosososo tired and just want to go to bed but there's always homework that needs to be done which takes me a while and by the time I've finished it's like 9:30/10 o'clock and i'm falling asleep... there just aren't enough hours in the day

wow we really be living same life WOAH (like we literally get up and leave and the same time lmao). Perhaps start utilising your lunchtime at school more often if you don't already; going to drop-in sessions, doing work at the library etc. I guess regarding coming home, you may just have to do everything quicker, but i COMPLETELY get what you mean; there is so much to do and time goes so quickly it really is crazy like i just need to have time to just chill for a bit :/. You could also do some revision otw to school or home if you're really racing for time, doing something light with flashcards. But again all of this is really easier said then done, it really is a struggle isnt it :/ Last thing, about your exam table, OCR, Edexcel and AQA released their exam timetables ages ago, so you'll be able to find them online. Hope everything starts to work out for you, because at this point im scared that I'm going to put off revision for too long. All the best :smile:!!
Reply 14
Original post by m0rb
wow we really be living same life WOAH (like we literally get up and leave and the same time lmao). Perhaps start utilising your lunchtime at school more often if you don't already; going to drop-in sessions, doing work at the library etc. I guess regarding coming home, you may just have to do everything quicker, but i COMPLETELY get what you mean; there is so much to do and time goes so quickly it really is crazy like i just need to have time to just chill for a bit :/. You could also do some revision otw to school or home if you're really racing for time, doing something light with flashcards. But again all of this is really easier said then done, it really is a struggle isnt it :/ Last thing, about your exam table, OCR, Edexcel and AQA released their exam timetables ages ago, so you'll be able to find them online. Hope everything starts to work out for you, because at this point im scared that I'm going to put off revision for too long. All the best :smile:!!

WOW! Haha we are literally the same. And ye, i will definitely start revising more on the way and back home from school... good idea. And i didn't know that they had realeased their timietables!! I'll look now, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest