Do people prefer singers of the opposite gender Watch

Poll: What gender are you and what gender singer do you prefer?
I am male and I prefer female singers (0)
0%
I am a male and I prefer male singers (4)
26.67%
Male with no gender preference (3)
20%
I am female and I prefer female singers (2)
13.33%
I am female and I prefer male singers (3)
20%
Female with no gender preference (3)
20%
RhiRhiT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Do you find that you tend to prefer listening singers of the same/opposite gender to you or is there no correlation?

Personally I am a female and I just realised all my favourite bands and singers are male. Could there be a scientific basis for this? Sexuality perhaps? I'm straight so it could be on an attraction basis?
Someonesendhelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m a female (and straight) and honestly most of my favourite songs are sung by females. However when listening to songs I focus more on the actual music itself rather than the singing so I think for my case it’s different
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I mostly listen to rock and metal so naturally I typically listen to singers of my own sex.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good question!

I tend to listen to a lot of rock and metal music, and although there are some really amazing female metal singers, I feel as though there are a lot more male singers in that genre. So it's not that I prefer male singers, it's just that I have a tendency to listen to male-fronted bands due to the genre.
imogen28
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yep I do - I think something like 2/80 songs on my playlist are sung by a female :lol:
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm male and I tend to prefer male singers. But I think it's probably because my favoured musical style is very heavily male-dominated. With generic, everyday radio music, I don't notice much preference.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't really 'prefer' either, if it sounds cool it sounds cool.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My workplace is mostly male and they seem to mostly (in some cases exclusively) listen to male vocalists. I am definitely an exception in preferring female vocalists. However this might be more due to genre biases - the men in my workplace tend towards various flavours of rock, which tends to have male vocalists more commonly, especially in "popular" bands. I tend to listen to pop/indie bands and artists which more often (compared to e.g. classic rock) have female vocalists.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't care. If it sounds good, me likey
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
going through the artists i listen, to the majority of them are male but been trying to listen to more female ones :yep:
Lyndsey.95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes I listen to male singers more often than female
MJ1148
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am a female who listens to a lot of indie and all of my favourite musicians are white males lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (475)
59.45%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.38%
No- I want it (228)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.63%

Watched Threads