lfs_04_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Right, so I would like to understand more about apprenticeships. I would like a career in engineering, which I am working hard for, my grades are looking pretty good, 8 in maths, 8 in product design and 7 in physics. Hopefully ill still get those up on the real exams. I was wondering whether I should get an apprenticeship, if so, after secondary school or after college? Would I be able to get a well-paid job in the future just as I would with a degree in engineering? People say it's really good because you'll get the work experience and knowledge, but there surely must be disadvantages, otherwise, why would people go into uni and have a debt of almost 30K when you can get the same stuff and even get paid PLUS the years of work experience? It just sounds too good, so I am worried there might be consequences.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't leave school without A levels. They are absolutely worth doing - you can then do an apprenticeship if you want to. You simply won't get the level of maths if you dont do maths A level.
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lfs_04_)
Right, so I would like to understand more about apprenticeships. I would like a career in engineering, which I am working hard for, my grades are looking pretty good, 8 in maths, 8 in product design and 7 in physics. Hopefully ill still get those up on the real exams. I was wondering whether I should get an apprenticeship, if so, after secondary school or after college? Would I be able to get a well-paid job in the future just as I would with a degree in engineering? People say it's really good because you'll get the work experience and knowledge, but there surely must be disadvantages, otherwise, why would people go into uni and have a debt of almost 30K when you can get the same stuff and even get paid PLUS the years of work experience? It just sounds too good, so I am worried there might be consequences.
Apprenticeships are the way to go for a career in engineering. I'm doing my apprenticeship currently and I have to say that I in no way regret it. I'm being paid 16500 pa increasing to 20000 in September and then when I get the full time job, most people have been getting payed 33000 base.

Any employer would much rather have someone with 3-4 years experience than someone from a levels or even a degree. Furthermore, if I'm offered one, I'll do my HNC and then BEng along with an engineering chartership all paid for.

The only reason I can see it not being a good idea to get an apprenticeship is if you are not sure if engineering is what you want to do.

Good Luck!
lfs_04_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
Apprenticeships are the way to go for a career in engineering. I'm doing my apprenticeship currently and I have to say that I in no way regret it. I'm being paid 16500 pa increasing to 20000 in September and then when I get the full time job, most people have been getting payed 33000 base.

Any employer would much rather have someone with 3-4 years experience than someone from a levels or even a degree. Furthermore, if I'm offered one, I'll do my HNC and then BEng along with an engineering chartership all paid for.

The only reason I can see it not being a good idea to get an apprenticeship is if you are not sure if engineering is what you want to do.

Good Luck!
How old are you, and when did you start? If you dont minds me asking, what grades did you get? Thanks
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lfs_04_)
How old are you, and when did you start? If you dont minds me asking, what grades did you get? Thanks
I started just when I turned 16 in Sept 2018. My grades were relatively good, I got an 8 in Maths and 6's in almost everything else bar business studies (distinction) and computer science - 5.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads