Unilever to stop advertising Ice-Cream to children. Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51479770

Unilever has vowed to stop marketing its products to children in order to help curb obesity and would limit cartoon characters in its advertising

Unilever say:
"By the end of 2020, we will stop marketing and advertising foods and beverages to children under the age of 12 in traditional media, and below 13 via social media channels.
We’re implementing strict controls concerning the placement and content of our ads, and we won’t use any influencers, celebrities or social media stars who primarily appeal to children under the age of 12.
We’ll also be limiting our use of cartoon characters. While you’ll still see some on our point-of-sale materials, they will only be used for products with a specific nutritional profile." https://www.unilever.com/news/news-a...-children.html

This comes as obesity rates amongst children and adolecents reach 18%.

DO we think this is the right move?
Will it make a difference?
Who's reponsability is it? Parents or companies.

and what is a influencer?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think nobody should be advertising to children, and that's as a non-parent. Imagine your kids having to have the latest fad every couple of months else be bullied. Kids are bombarded by professional psychologists' advertising, made to make them feel inadequate (same for adult advertising too, bit at least then it's an adult decision) and get a product for some temporary relief to not be left out.

On social media too, people are seeing the most 'amazing' moments of others' lives as if they are everyday, and made to feel inadequate when comparing their own normal lives to that.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Pretty sure most kids like icecream because it tastes nice as opposed to its packaging, per se.
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's an understandable marketing initiative by Unilever but what's making people fatter is the sedentary lifestyle that makes them spend most of their time in front of screens and fail to burn out the calories they consume. That's the main cause of the 'obesity crisis', combined with a lack of personal responsibility. Only after that it may be somebody else's fault, Corbyn forgot to add free gym membership for everyone to his list of social concerns. Good thing he did, too.

Belonging to one of the last generations free to go out all day long without a worry from the parents, I don't remember many fat friends and it's not as if they were all cutting down on ice cream or anything else fattening they could get their mouths on. Nobody even knew what calories were or cared about them, really. As someone who never had a weight problem, it looks to me sometimes that people who don't have a problem are completely ignored and that we may have to end up eating twice as much just to make up for this drive towards low-calorie food everywhere. It's always the same type of people who get religious about all this stuff, not the libertarian tribe.
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51479770

Unilever has vowed to stop marketing its products to children in order to help curb obesity and would limit cartoon characters in its advertising

Unilever say:
"By the end of 2020, we will stop marketing and advertising foods and beverages to children under the age of 12 in traditional media, and below 13 via social media channels.
We’re implementing strict controls concerning the placement and content of our ads, and we won’t use any influencers, celebrities or social media stars who primarily appeal to children under the age of 12.
We’ll also be limiting our use of cartoon characters. While you’ll still see some on our point-of-sale materials, they will only be used for products with a specific nutritional profile." https://www.unilever.com/news/news-a...-children.html

This comes as obesity rates amongst children and adolecents reach 18%.

DO we think this is the right move?
Will it make a difference?
Who's reponsability is it? Parents or companies.

and what is a influencer?
More virtue signalling, it won't make a difference. Definitely when I was a kid I didn't care about the adverts, I ate ice cream because it was yummy.

It's a parent's responsibility, but since many parents are fat they're not great examples.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads