Is it normal for my insurance quote to be over £3000? Watch

RussX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I just passed my test last Friday and when I was looking up a quote for a Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate, most of it was over 3 grand. Is this normal for it to be this expensive? I am an 18-year-old man but I live in an area that is not filled with too much crime.

Could you suggest any insurance providers that give it for cheaper?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes.
The £3-£5k range is normal for teenage males who have just passed their driving test.
It is likely to be somewhat cheaper if you share a car with one of your parents and are added to their insurance as an additional driver, instead of buying/leasing a car of your own.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's steep but as a new AND young driver, pretty 'normal'. Your insurer might have a different view of the areas crime and any of the 101 other things they base the quote on....without knowing your entire life story (and being an experienced underwriter) no one else can really guess a price for you.

Have you tried all the standard footering about with the quote? Changing mileage, named drivers, car ect. My first quotes for a Clio were all huge but it was just Clio's they hated, not me, I could insure almost anything else far cheaper.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Normal is diff for everyone else, I paid that for my first 2 years, now I pay £700.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
It's steep but as a new AND young driver, pretty 'normal'. Your insurer might have a different view of the areas crime and any of the 101 other things they base the quote on....without knowing your entire life story (and being an experienced underwriter) no one else can really guess a price for you.

Have you tried all the standard footering about with the quote? Changing mileage, named drivers, car ect. My first quotes for a Clio were all huge but it was just Clio's they hated, not me, I could insure almost anything else far cheaper.
They’re all different.
We bought my son a Clio for his first car because it came out cheapest at 1300 fully comp
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RussX)
I just passed my test last Friday and when I was looking up a quote for a Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate, most of it was over 3 grand. Is this normal for it to be this expensive? I am an 18-year-old man but I live in an area that is not filled with too much crime.

If you are tempted to get a black box policy (typically cheaper), make sure that you understand the potential issues.
Kyxng
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If I had these types of quotes I wouldn’t even bother driving... I passed well into my 20s and pay like 700 per year.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
They’re all different.
We bought my son a Clio for his first car because it came out cheapest at 1300 fully comp
Yeah it'll all change, and I v much doubt all the insurers use the same risk assessments/data.

For me they just hated the damn Clio...Fiesta, Corsa, Civic, Sodding Jaguars, all cool, Clio? fk no, you can't have one :rolleyes:
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RussX)

Have you compared it to other cars, as that sounds quite steep tbh, maybe try a Fiesta without the climate control?
biggyK
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me it’s £1800 but then it’ll likely come down to £1500 at renewal. Rip off but what can you do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads