Can I get funding for a certificate of higher education and a honours? Watch

coopa2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi, I want to do a certificate of higher education this september in finance and go on to study a honours degree in september 2021 at the OU, is it possible to get a loan for this? Will I get the maintenance loan for both? (I have a disability preventing me from going to uni therefore im eligible for the maintenance loan)
Amy SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by coopa2002)
Hi, I want to do a certificate of higher education this september in finance and go on to study a honours degree in september 2021 at the OU, is it possible to get a loan for this? Will I get the maintenance loan for both? (I have a disability preventing me from going to uni therefore im eligible for the maintenance loan)
Hi there,

Do you know your course details and we can check the course eligibility on the system for you?. If you study a Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) and then go on to study a higher level qualification than you have already gained you will be eligible to receive funding.

In terms of the Open University if you are studying a Distance Learning Course due to a disability you will be eligible to receive the Part Time Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Amy
coopa2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Hi there,

Do you know your course details and we can check the course eligibility on the system for you?. If you study a Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) and then go on to study a higher level qualification than you have already gained you will be eligible to receive funding.

In terms of the Open University if you are studying a Distance Learning Course due to a disability you will be eligible to receive the Part Time Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Amy
Hi,

It is a CertHE in Business management and spanish, I then plan to study BSc Psychology (Honours ) after a few years of a break. As the course is full time would I not be able to receive a full time maintenance loan?

Here are links if needed: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/busine...panish-t45-spa

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/psycho...psychology-q07

Thanks, Louis
Amy SFE
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi,

It is a CertHE in Business management and spanish, I then plan to study BSc Psychology (Honours ) after a few years of a break. As the course is full time would I not be able to receive a full time maintenance loan?

Here are links if needed: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/busine...panish-t45-spa

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/psycho...psychology-q07

Thanks, Louis
Hi Louis,

The Open University have not uploaded all courses for the 20/21 academic year as of yet, however we do have the course listed for the 19/20 academic year and it is eligible for funding.

Open University courses are classed as Part Time students, regardless of the Award Authority you are applying to. This means that you are eligible to receive the same funding as part-time students i.e. tuition fee support. However, if you are studying a Distance Learning Course due to a disability you will also be eligible to receive the Part Time Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Amy
coopa2002
Rep:
?
Hi Louis,

The Open University have not uploaded all courses for the 20/21 academic year as of yet, however we do have the course listed for the 19/20 academic year and it is eligible for funding.

Open University courses are classed as Part Time students, regardless of the Award Authority you are applying to. This means that you are eligible to receive the same funding as part-time students i.e. tuition fee support. However, if you are studying a Distance Learning Course due to a disability you will also be eligible to receive the Part Time Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Amy
Hi,

Thank you for clarifying, do you know how much this is as I can't seem to find it online, or if not how much it was for 19/20, the course itself is 38 hours per week if you need this.

Many thanks, Louis
Amy SFE
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi,

Thank you for clarifying, do you know how much this is as I can't seem to find it online, or if not how much it was for 19/20, the course itself is 38 hours per week if you need this.

Many thanks, Louis
Hi Louis,

It is calculated based on your course intensity, living location and household income, therefore until an assessment is done we cannot provide you with a final figure. However, you can use our Student Finance Calculator to give you an estimated figure, you can find the calculator here.

Thanks, Amy
coopa2002
Rep:
?
Hi Louis,

It is calculated based on your course intensity, living location and household income, therefore until an assessment is done we cannot provide you with a final figure. However, you can use our Student Finance Calculator to give you an estimated figure, you can find the calculator here.

Thanks, Amy
Hi again,

I appreciate your help, however this is confusing me, according to the calculator I'm entitled to £7,747 in a maintenance loan. This is the exact same amount as full time and I'm just a bit confused as I would've thought a part time loan would be less. Does the loan being part time / full time not affect the amount? If not what am I doing wrong? I put all details in correct including household income and how many credits I'm studying.

Thanks again,
Louis
Attached files
Graeme SFE
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi again,

I appreciate your help, however this is confusing me, according to the calculator I'm entitled to £7,747 in a maintenance loan. This is the exact same amount as full time and I'm just a bit confused as I would've thought a part time loan would be less. Does the loan being part time / full time not affect the amount? If not what am I doing wrong? I put all details in correct including household income and how many credits I'm studying.

Thanks again,
Louis
Hi Louis,

The amount you're entitled to depends on the course intensity. If the course intensity is 100%, or close to it, you can be awarded up to £10,539, assuming you're living away form the parental home and outside of London. If the intensity is less, however, your loan will be reduced.

If you don't mind us asking: are you studying distance learning due to a disability? If not, you won't be entitled to the Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Graeme
coopa2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Graeme SFE)
Hi Louis,

The amount you're entitled to depends on the course intensity. If the course intensity is 100%, or close to it, you can be awarded up to £10,539, assuming you're living away form the parental home and outside of London. If the intensity is less, however, your loan will be reduced.

If you don't mind us asking: are you studying distance learning due to a disability? If not, you won't be entitled to the Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Graeme
Hi Graeme,

Yes I am studying distance learning due to a disability, or at least I planned to, but I called yesterday and was told that I was only entitled to £2031 for the full year in maintenance loans, obviously this will not even cover rent nevermind the rest of basics like food and clothes and books etc. So I am unable to study because of this which is unfortunate, unless there are other ways of receiving more money. I am not even sure how SFE expects me to live on £2031 for a year, this is not realistic at all, my household income is below £25,000 too. I appreciate that you don't decide these rules, however are there any ways of getting more? The calculator told me £7747 yet SFE told me otherwise. I would love to study but unfortunately it does not seem possible unless I manage to get enough to cover my costs.

Thanks,

Louis
Graeme SFE
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi Graeme,

Yes I am studying distance learning due to a disability, or at least I planned to, but I called yesterday and was told that I was only entitled to £2031 for the full year in maintenance loans, obviously this will not even cover rent nevermind the rest of basics like food and clothes and books etc. So I am unable to study because of this which is unfortunate, unless there are other ways of receiving more money. I am not even sure how SFE expects me to live on £2031 for a year, this is not realistic at all, my household income is below £25,000 too. I appreciate that you don't decide these rules, however are there any ways of getting more? The calculator told me £7747 yet SFE told me otherwise. I would love to study but unfortunately it does not seem possible unless I manage to get enough to cover my costs.

Thanks,

Louis
Thanks - when you spoke to our colleague, did they ask you about your course intensity? Do you know right now at what intensity you'll study?

Warm regards, Graeme
coopa2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi, the course is 120 credits per year which I think works out at 100% . The person was aware of the intensity.
Graeme SFE
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi, the course is 120 credits per year which I think works out at 100% . The person was aware of the intensity.
Okay, was it this calculator you used initially? https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks, Graeme
coopa2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Graeme SFE)
Okay, was it this calculator you used initially? https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks, Graeme
Yes.

Thanks, Louis
SFE Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yes.

Thanks, Louis
Hi Louis,

Thanks for confirming that for us.

Unfortunately, if you are studying a course which leads to a Certificate of Higher Education qualification, you will not be entitled to the Part Time Maintenance Loan (PTML).

The PTML is only available to students studying on the following courses:
- Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Integrated Masters Degree
- Graduate Diploma (Only eligible where a degree is not a condition of entry to the course)
- Graduate Certificate (Only eligible where a degree is not a condition of entry to the course)
- Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
- Foundation Degree in only Dental Health or Dental Therapy
- Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice

Sorry that you were not informed of this sooner.

Thanks, Ashley.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (251)
66.58%
No (126)
33.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed