The Student Room Group

Girls sue to block participation of transgender athletes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mustafa0605
I could declare my self a woman (maybe stick a wig on) and win the Olympics Gold Medal for Women’s boxing.

No you actually couldn't.
Id like to see a trans league.. want to see who can win, the transgirl with lowered testosterone, vs the trans guy being pumped full of it..

Genuinly.. who would win?
these female litigants should get with the now. just because someone has a willy does not mean they are a "bloke". and vice versa.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
How does this work for intersex people? With combinations of chromosomes other than XX and XY?

Case-by-case bases IIRC (hence the Semenya controversy).
It's funny how little we hear about ftm people winning in men's leagues. Smashing records and dominating their opponents. After all, it's just a case of testosterone right?
Original post by Guru Jason

Yeah I can. Real Women probably have to take steroids to get anywhere near my amount of muscle mass.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Id like to see a trans league.. want to see who can win, the transgirl with lowered testosterone, vs the trans guy being pumped full of it..

Genuinly.. who would win?

Probably the 'girl'. As she would likely be taller, have more muscle, stronger joints and ligaments and larger lungs. Testosterone accompanies this
Yeah I can. Real Women probably have to take steroids to get anywhere near my amount of muscle mass.

That's not the reason why. If you are a bloke which I assume you are, then putting on a wig and calling yourself a woman doesn't automatically qualify you to compete with women. Saying it does shows your ignorance if the rules of entry for these competitions
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
Trans women may say they are women but biologically they are still very much male. In the interest of fairness they should compete with men. But that would probably be labelled transphobic so alternatively they should have their own competition.

This is why I don't agree with sex change, I believe you can never truly change your gender, once you are born with a gender, that's your gender. On the outside you can look as feminine as you like, but on the inside you are still very much a man.
Hope I don't get any warning cards.
Original post by pikipek
Good point! That is actually something mentioned in the article I linked, it's well worth a read. It is very true that trans women may (the key word being may) have other advantages that won't go away after transitioning. However, the fact of the matter is that cis women could have these advantages too, and trans women may not, so it's unfair to force trans women to compete with men. Nobody's out there measuring the bone density, limb length, or individual heights of cis women to deem whether or not they should be allowed to compete in high school sports- that would be absurd. For example, my school has a (very casual) all women basketball team. My transgender friend (who's 5"7, so a bit taller than average for a woman but shorter than average for a man) was forced to join the mens team. Meanwhile, my cis classmate (who has thyroid issues) and so is 6"7 is a treasured member of the team, since her biological advantage has helped the team win many matches. Is that fair? Should we start excluding all women with natural advantages?

The way I see it is this: trans women may, or may not, have advantages over some cis women post-transition. But all cis men will have an advantage over transgender women. Very, very few women would be able to succeed in male competitive sports (and I say this as a cis woman). If you wouldn't force a 6"7 woman to join a men's team, why force a 5"7 woman who happened to be born male?

Cool story bro.
Reply 70
I could declare my self a woman (maybe stick a wig on) and win the Olympics Gold Medal for Women’s boxing.

:laugh: Bless your cotton socks.
Original post by Ascend
:laugh: Bless your cotton socks.

I’m 20 years old, I don’t need you to bless my socks mate
Supporting and protecting those who transgender, especially from violence, is something I hope we should all support. Not using Mr, Mrs or Miss where it is not necessary I hope too. There should be two areas where we seek to protect those born women- in changing rooms from those who have not undergone gender reassignment surgery, and in women's sport.
Valid concern.
Reply 74
Tbh I couldn't care less about the poisoning of women's sports. Just happy it can't happen to men's sports lol
Reply 75
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Case-by-case bases IIRC (hence the Semenya controversy).

I haven't worked it out myself, although I always marvel at the people who do, but... did you know that 'Caster Semenya' is an anagram for 'yes a secret man'?
Original post by fallen_acorns
I just don't know how the trans atheletes don't feel shame.

I mean, I have been in their shoes.. I get their perspective, and its really tough for them to not be able to be abale to live and compete in the way they feel is natural/right for them..

But equally back when i was in their possition, I felt really shameful and embarassed when I thought of things like this. I played casual sport and physical things with girls.. including rock climbing. I could go to a route that a lot of girls were struggling with, and do it.. but I would never then feel good about being the only girl who did it, or bragged or put myself in that catagory of 'girl' when it came to sporting/athletic things.. because I was huge compared to them, much stronger, and it was so blatently unfair that to be proud of winning would have made me feel ashamed. Its like a teenager winning a race against kids and then celebrating.. so what? You beat someone that you have a biological advantage over? good for you..

I think in this case, trans people will need to accept that there is no easy solution, and just not participating in competitive/professional level sport is probably the best thing. no one has a right to compete.. there are many people who would love to, but can't because of a whole variety of reasons. Trans is just one of those reasons for me. Unless the trans women want to compete with men - in which case go for it. They will be at a disadvantage due to their lower testosterone level.. but that should help them to understand what the girls they are now competing against feel like.

wait what
Without a doubt the worse result of all this debacle is the end of urinals when toilets all become unisex.
The finest invention since sliced bread, as anyone can see whenever you go to the loos in a theatre during the intermission.
Original post by Guru Jason

Considering a guy ranked above 200th in men's professional tennis beat the Williams sisters back to back there is a very good chance any man ranked 500th or below could trans and kick Serena's ass then dominate the women's game until he chose to retire.
Just his cardiovascular advantage alone would be massive.
Team sports fair enough maybe, but if this carries on it could lead to the death of women's professional individual sports.
Btw somebody asked why you don't see f2m trans storming mens sports? It's a very good question and shows the truth of advantages men have over women and women don't have over men regardless of how much testosterone they take or muscle they try to gain.
There was F2M a while back entered men's rugby and got a spine injury in a tackle. Last I saw they were raising money for a wheel chair for them
I agree

- women should compete with women in physical sports
- men should complete with men in physical sports
- all non physical sports like, darts and snooker should be mixed.

Trans people can have their own leagues in physical sports and complete with everyone else in non physical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending