Question about one of Imperial's modules for JMC Watch

jiaminglimjm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How much Algebra is in the 1st year module "MATH40012 - Calculus, Algebra and Analysis for JMC" at Imperial? Does it dig straight into groups/rings/fields and lagrange/fermat/euler's theorem and stuff like that? I noticed JMC doesn't focus much on abstract algebra at all
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/...ents/jmc-info/

You can take Algebra 2 & 3 plus galois theory in third year and Algebra 4 plus commutative algebra in fourth year. There's also a range of options in algebraic geometry, topology, and number theory etc, available across the final two years. Essentially you can take as much algebra as a single honours maths student, subject to degree regulations and timetabling, just in a slightly different schedule to account for the computing side of the course.

I don't know about the content of that particular module as I can't find a module content page for it. I'd be surprised if any maths courses teach much if any ring theory in the first year of a maths degree. I imagine you'll cover groups and possibly be introduced to fields (in relation to vector spaces). You could always contact Imperial to enquire about it directly.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
jiaminglimjm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/...ents/jmc-info/

You can take Algebra 2 & 3 plus galois theory in third year and Algebra 4 plus commutative algebra in fourth year. There's also a range of options in algebraic geometry, topology, and number theory etc, available across the final two years. Essentially you can take as much algebra as a single honours maths student, subject to degree regulations and timetabling, just in a slightly different schedule to account for the computing side of the course.

I don't know about the content of that particular module as I can't find a module content page for it. I'd be surprised if any maths courses teach much if any ring theory in the first year of a maths degree. I imagine you'll cover groups and possibly be introduced to fields (in relation to vector spaces). You could always contact Imperial to enquire about it directly.
Thank you so much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed