US investigates Harvard and Yale over foreign funding Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A peculiar position to take when most of the US economy is propped up by foreign money from China and the Gulf.
One wonders if they will be taking Boeing and Lockheed to task over their dealings with the Gulf dictatorships, never mind the dubious dealings in china for much of Wallstreet and Silicon Valley :rolleyes:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51481396
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The philanthropist and former financier George Soros has announced that he is to donate $1bn to fund a new global network of universities designed to promote liberal values and his vision of an open society.

In what he hailed as the “most important and enduring project of my life”, Soros said it was important to fund institutions that would help resist the drift towards growing authoritarianism in the US, Russia and China. He also launched a fresh attack on Donald Trump, calling the US president “the ultimate narcissist.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...thoritarianism

There's one of those foreigners, he's putting a billion into the global fund and that must make him a top funder.

Soros, speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, said his new Open Society University Network would build on his Central European University, set up after the collapse of communism 30 years ago.

The CEU has been forced to move from Hungary to Vienna after Hungary’s rightwing leader, Viktor Orban, stripped it of the ability to issue US degrees.
I'm actually more interested in his funding than that by China or Qatar, much more likely to have an influence in our society. Not surprised that some people are on the case.

“To demonstrate our commitment to OSUN, we are contributing one billion dollars to it. But we can’t build a global network on our own; we will need partner institutions and supporters from all around the world to join us in this enterprise.”

Soros said that while the political situation was quite grim, it would be a mistake to give in to despair. He attacked Trump, who he said was a “con man and the ultimate narcissist who wants the world to revolve around him”.
Trump, that pesky obstacle to his visions.
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
https://www.theguardian.com/business...thoritarianism

There's one of those foreigners, he's putting a billion into the global fund and that must make him a top funder.

I'm actually more interested in his funding than that by China or Qatar, much more likely to have an influence in our society. Not surprised that some people are on the case.

Trump, that pesky obstacle to his visions.
How is a coffin dodger from Hungary more of a security threat than China?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
How is a coffin dodger from Hungary more of a security threat than China?
What security threat from China? Soros is much more of a threat to the West with his efforts to turn it upside down. From within.

He's poured billions into it so far and the results are becoming evident, we only have to look for them. He doesn't even make a secret about it, it's all in his speech. How can anyone think his fortune, now donated to the OSF, has no impact on anything? He surely doesn't see it that way.

The Corona virus is less of a threat to the West.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Here's George's vision of what open societies should be, he may even have paid for that banner...

Name:  indymedia_KkUnzkT.width-800.png
Views: 7
Size:  287.4 KB

or funded publications like these...

Name:  91LiylN2PcL.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  297.8 KB

It would be extremely naive to think Soros doesn't have an impact in this world, this thing in the US may well be the Trump admin trying to put the dampeners on his influence in the education sector. Of course we would be told that the problem is with the Chinese instead, his influence spreads to the media world as well. It was a BBC link anyway, to be treated with caution.

Of course he hates Trump.
Last edited by z-hog; 2 weeks ago
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
What security threat from China? Soros is much more of a threat to the West with his efforts to turn it upside down. From within.

He's poured billions into it so far and the results are becoming evident, we only have to look for them. He doesn't even make a secret about it, it's all in his speech. How can anyone think his fortune, now donated to the OSF, has no impact on anything? He surely doesn't see it that way.

The Corona virus is less of a threat to the West.
Aside from the fact that is little more than an anti-semitic trope wrapped up a conspiracy...
China has shown itself to be a threat in countless ways from its desire to be the dominent power, repeated theft of corporate and government information and pursuit of advanced weapons. There are countless other examples of why China is a threat but these ones suit the point best.
What about the virus?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Aside from the fact that is little more than an anti-semitic trope wrapped up a conspiracy...
What is anti-Semitic trope, I only bother with it for the sake of checking that attitude towards anything Soros related. He is a very influential man with billions invested into his vision of what the world ought to look like, it's nothing but factual to point out how that influence applies. Of course he isn't the only person with influence in this world but he may well be the most generous donator to political causes, his money and the network it funds groom and deliver people to key positions in society. What do people think he gets out of it, anyway?
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
What is anti-Semitic trope, I only bother with it for the sake of checking that attitude towards anything Soros related. He is a very influential man with billions invested into his vision of what the world ought to look like, it's nothing but factual to point out how that influence applies. Of course he isn't the only person with influence in this world but he may well be the most generous donator to political causes, his money and the network it funds groom and deliver people to key positions in society. What do people think he gets out of it, anyway?
Indeed he is but playing on the idea that he is somehow master of the world is fanciful. Aside from the fact he is only a modest billionaire (8 or so i believe) he's no worse than countless other billionaires the only difference being his donations seem to offend the right for various reasons.
I mean entities like Gates, Seckler, Bloomberg .. hell even Trump are all prolific political donors in their own way. Money buys influence.
Well according to him its to advance democracy and i have yet to see anything more sinister come out of his foundations. If anything theyre quite amusing in how they piss off the powerful by shining a spotlight on them. Cough cough Orban and Trump.

As to his err grooming and placing people into power... would you kindly show me some examples of this sinister cabal at work?

I should point out, for clarity's sake, i have no particular affinity to him or his politics. I merely take umbrage with the incessant conspiracies that he's not but an evil puppet master. Nevermind the more egregious ones implying he is part of a ZOG
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads