addzmadz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
So i'm really really worried. Some background info, I live in bangladesh, but im from England. I'll be in year nine in a few months. I've got all my subjects planned out and they add up to seven in total. Here are the ones i plan to take:

English language B (Mandatory)
Mathematics B (Mandatory)
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Human Biology
Further Pure Mathematics

I still want to take one more but despite that, are 7 subjects still enough for top unis/oxford? Or should i take English language A and make it eight?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

(side note: I'll be giving all my gcses under edexcel)
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by addzmadz)
Hi,
So i'm really really worried. Some background info, I live in bangladesh, but im from England. I'll be in year nine in a few months. I've got all my subjects planned out and they add up to seven in total. Here are the ones i plan to take:

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Human Biology
Further Pure Mathematics

I still want to take one more but despite that, are 7 subjects still enough for top unis/oxford? Or should i take English language A and make it eight?

These should be enough- the Oxford website does not specify a number of GCSEs! If you feel you could take English language A and get a high grade in it then by all means take it to boost your academic profile, but honestly you dont need to stress too much atm
jez123442224432
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I would seriously consider doing more GCSE's if you're aiming for Oxford, as most people here do 10 or 11. Oxford looks at GCSE's very thoroughly. Also just to let you know, human biology and biology are seen as very similar, so some universities don't perceive them as 2 distinct GCSE's. It would be better if you swapped human biology with a different subject, such as geography or history.
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Human Biology
Further Pure Mathematics

What are you planning on studying? If it is medicine you're going to need at least 10, with all of them A*/8/9s basically. Even for other courses you still might want to do some more. If you can't really do more you may want to consider Cambridge instead as they hardly even look at your GCSEs, thankfully for me
addzmadz
Rep:
?
(Original post by yankang.qi)
What are you planning on studying? If it is medicine you're going to need at least 10, with all of them A*/8/9s basically. Even for other courses you still might want to do some more. If you can't really do more you may want to consider Cambridge instead as they hardly even look at your GCSEs, thankfully for me
hiya, i plan on studying biochemistry, but i see what you mean. thanks for the advice!
addzmadz
Rep:
?
(Original post by jez123442224432)
Hi, I would seriously consider doing more GCSE's if you're aiming for Oxford, as most people here do 10 or 11. Oxford looks at GCSE's very thoroughly. Also just to let you know, human biology and biology are seen as very similar, so some universities don't perceive them as 2 distinct GCSE's. It would be better if you swapped human biology with a different subject, such as geography or history.
hiya, where i live in Bangladesh most people (the ones who are pretty smart/high scoring students) take a maximum of 8-9 subjects, perhaps the system is different that's why. but i'll try and see if i can change anything about the subjects i plan on studying.
thank you so much!
addzmadz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Siobha)
These should be enough- the Oxford website does not specify a number of GCSEs! If you feel you could take English language A and get a high grade in it then by all means take it to boost your academic profile, but honestly you dont need to stress too much atm
hiya! I see what you mean, I've checked their website hundreds of times under the biochemistry undergraduate course and I'd never see any limited requirements for GCSEs and that would confuse me a lot ahaha, i'll most likely take English Language A as well since my English teacher thinks i'm a pretty good student and i'll be able to do well in it.
Thank you so much!
TheTroll73
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Human Biology
Further Pure Mathematics

You really need to have at least 2 humanities subjects... (economics, history, geography) and I would still recommend most people to study literature and a foreign language. Quite surprised these aren't compulsory in your school.

also biology and human biology are too similar (just pick biology)

even if you don't need these subjects for uni it IS beneficial in the long term to have a good subject balance at GCSE.

Personally I took these subjects back in GCSE (i'm now going to study math at uni):

- Math
- Additional math
- English (first language)
- English literature
- French (foreign language)
- Physics
- Chemistry
- History
- Economics
- Business studies

Kinda disappointing that I couldn't take biology but it does not matter now :P.

At A level I simply took math, further math, and physics.
Last edited by TheTroll73; 1 week ago
the_queen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, it's not enough for Oxbridge. For students with the same predicted grades and same potential, unis will look at GCSEs . And Biology and Human Biology are usualy not considered as 2 subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (338)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.2%