Have you had trouble wit SFE as an ethnic person Watch

Breakfatsattifs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve noticed a lot of African descents have problems with student finance a lot. It’s been weeks and none of them have advised me about my form being wrong I’ve even recorded our phone conversations I had a co1 form done to change my university since my last one rejected me. I wanted the last one because it was closer to my house I could see my siblings quiker. But they kept telling me it will be processed till I called in to find out it’s the wrong form. I’m afraid that their plan is actually at the end they would reject my application all together and the university will make me pay for the whole year I’m terrified but I feel like that’s what student finance are planning. Since I’ve used 2years of funding before.
Advertisement
Breakfatsattifs
Rep:
?
I’ve noticed a lot of African descents have problems with student finance a lot. It’s been weeks and none of them have advised me about my form being wrong I’ve even recorded our phone conversations I had a co1 form done to change my university since my last one rejected me. I wanted the last one because it was closer to my house I could see my siblings quiker. But they kept telling me it will be processed till I called in to find out it’s the wrong form. I’m afraid that their plan is actually at the end they would reject my application all together and the university will make me pay for the whole year I’m terrified but I feel like that’s what student finance are planning. Since I’ve used 2years of funding before.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That is just SFE, they run incredibly inefficient and frustrating systems. They simply don't care that much.

I had them lose the same form 4 times even when I sent it recorded they tried to claim they didn't receive it.
Advertisement
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Breakfatsattifs)
Please don't play the race card with SFE. It's entirely of your own imagining.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah they treat everyone like that
Advertisement
Breakfatsattifs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Please don't play the race card with SFE. It's entirely of your own imagining.
I wonder why when someone has a certain experience suddenly it’s a race card. How would ever know if you haven’t experienced the same thing.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wonder why when someone has a certain experience suddenly it’s a race card. How would ever know if you haven’t experienced the same thing.
It really feels like you're making race an issue when it isn't. I don't know why your mind would jump to that. There are loads of threads on here about SFE being unhelpful.
Advertisement
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve noticed a lot of African descents have problems with student finance a lot.

I’m afraid that their plan is actually at the end they would reject my application all together and the university will make me pay for the whole year I’m terrified but I feel like that’s what student finance are planning.
Because you’re insinuating that SFE is specifically trying to mess with your application because of your race...
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Everyone has experienced the ineptitude of SFE, why do you think they are based in Scotland, since Scots don't pay fees? It is to stop English students putting a brick with their forms attached through the window.
Advertisement
HellKnight
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel the same bro, and I'm not even ethnic, I'm just a foreigner. Student Finance have mislead me about the evidence I would need to send and they have lied to me multiple times that they have everything they need only to ask for more evidence 30 days later. What is more, it is February and my payments are still blocked. If I do not get it sorted by the end of the month, I may have to pay £9000 out of my pocket, and I definitely do not have that money.

Student Finance has basically ruined my life. Because of their incompetence, I have had to work long hours just to support myself, and they do not care that I was given the wrong advice. I sent exactly what they asked for, tried to speak to a manager, but they told me that they are way too busy, and that I have to wait 30 working days for a response.

I swear, if Student Finance's (deliberate) negligence continues, I will move abroad. And if they ask me how I'm going to pay my loan back, I'm going to ask them for more evidence, and to allow at least 35 working days for me to answer.
Last edited by HellKnight; 1 week ago
Breakfatsattifs
Rep:
?
(Original post by HellKnight)
I feel the same bro, and I'm not even ethnic, I'm just a foreigner. Student Finance have mislead me about the evidence I would need to send and they have lied to me multiple times that they have everything they need only to ask for more evidence 30 days later. What is more, it is February and my payments are still blocked. If I do not get it sorted by the end of the month, I may have to pay £9000 out of my pocket, and I definitely do not have that money.

Student Finance has basically ruined my life. Because of their incompetence, I have had to work long hours just to support myself, and they do not care that I was given the wrong advice. I sent exactly what they asked for, tried to speak to a manager, but they told me that they are way too busy, and that I have to wait 30 working days for a response.

I swear, if Student Finance's (deliberate) negligence continues, I will move abroad. And if they ask me how I'm going to pay my loan back, I'm going to ask them for more evidence, and to allow at least 35 working days for me to answer.
Yes this is exactly what they’ve done to me o even had a conversation with someone about it over the phone and one mumbled “oh god” I’m thinking well if your tired of getting my call because yes I call them almost everyday because they keep flip flopping with their answeres. Then make sure you get your facts right. I’ll have to find a second job now to support my journey back and forth from Essex to Cambridge can you imagine.

Anyways sorry about your experience it’s so annoying how SFE gets away with this ****
Advertisement
Breakfatsattifs
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
It really feels like you're making race an issue when it isn't. I don't know why your mind would jump to that. There are loads of threads on here about SFE being unhelpful.
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Because you’re insinuating that SFE is specifically trying to mess with your application because of your race...
I understand they mess with everyone’s form but I don’t think it’s too this level where they kept giving me the wrong form to fill out then 4 weeks later in the middle of my application they’re telling me I’ve been sending in the wrong form all this time. And then when I complain they mumble under their “argh god” as if I’m patronising them when they literally didn’t pick up on the fact that they messed up. They think it’s a joke... many ethnics or foreigners have experienced the same thing. I mean I’m not disputing that they do it to everyone but is it really to this level?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
With SFE it is actually better to message them on Facebook or Twitter - they have more experienced advisers on those channels and you can DM them on there with your account details and they can investigate. Often the staff on the phone aren't very experienced and the staff on TSR are experienced but can't use the DM on TSR to investigate specific account details for you.
Advertisement
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't make me go all Laurence Fox on you...

... And then when I complain they mumble under their “argh god” as if I’m patronising them when they literally didn’t pick up on the fact that they messed up. They think it’s a joke... many ethnics or foreigners have experienced the same thing. I mean I’m not disputing that they do it to everyone but is it really to this level?
Yes, yes it is. To everyone. As I said, don't play the race card. It doesn't suit you.
Breakfatsattifs
Rep:
?
Don't make me go all Laurence Fox on you...

Yes, yes it is. To everyone. As I said, don't play the race card. It doesn't suit you.
How does it not suite... umm me you don’t even know me. And I’m not playing a race card don’t call my experience a race card.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How does it not suite... umm me you don’t even know me. And I’m not playing a race card don’t call my experience a race card.
Your experience has got nothing to do with your race. You're conflating the two to try to make an ridiculous claim that SFE treats African people differently from others.

It's a race card. And it's ridiculous.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
SFE are ****e with everyone. One time they lost my evidence o 3 separate occasions,so I rang to complain and basically got told to **** off, but in politer terms. Useless. it's not about race, it's about the ethos of their frontline staff in toto
Advertisement
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
SFE are ****e with everyone. One time they lost my evidence o 3 separate occasions,so I rang to complain and basically got told to **** off, but in politer terms. Useless. it's not about race, it's about the ethos of their frontline staff in toto
Hello buddy! I've been trying to send you a message, but you've turned them off. Hope it's not troll related.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello buddy! I've been trying to send you a message, but you've turned them off. Hope it's not troll related.
Argh. You should be added to the allowed list. I shall address!

(I was getting mithered by philosophy undergrads and I have enough of that from work, ha!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads