Nando's apologises for racist painting depicting black people in a toaster Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Colin Hill, head of Nando’s has apologised for the artwork, which was on the walls of the brand in the Perry Barr area of the city after the customer contacted him about it via LinkedIn.

" [The picture was] completely insensitive to one of the worst periods of human history.

It shows four people of colour who have been historically subject to degradation and hardship in an implement – here, a toaster – used to cook or burn bread.

It’s an absolute disgrace that in this day and age, a painting like that can appear in as popular a food chain in modern Britain as Nando’s.

As a black man, I think this is completely unacceptable, weird, and deeply offensive."

https://www.indy100.com/article/nand...aurant-9173471
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
This is beyond stupid.

Man who painted it said it was about unemployment in south Africa.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...-racist-in-uk/
Last edited by NotNotBatman; 6 days ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
God what a whiney moron.
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Ideally, they would ask another black man just to make sure. Best of three, if that's what it takes.
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
He has every right to be mad. You may not see it from his perspective because it isn’t personal to you.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
But you'd never fit them in a toaster. It's a struggle sometimes to even get a crumpet in...
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Maybe a rotary toaster like this would work:

Name:  E841_1_1.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  78.3 KB
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
All of a sudden I'm craving toast...:curious:
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Kind of amusing it was painted by a black man and is supposed to be a social commentary/anti-racist piece of art work. I mean does the guy complaining literally think it's meant to be saying put black people in a toaster?
watershower
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Most of Nando’s art work are by black or minorities so obviously it has a deeper message that is not racist. Isn’t that common knowledge? It’s literally on the back of their menus.
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Found some of these comments interesting.
(Original post by joey11223)
Kind of amusing it was painted by a black man and is supposed to be a social commentary/anti-racist piece of art work. I mean does the guy complaining literally think it's meant to be saying put black people in a toaster?
There you go, an explanation.

Nandos also has black chickens on pieces of art, does this mean Nandos are advocating the frying of black people?

I think it's quite dangerous that people ( including me ) jumped to the conclusion it was racist.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
God what a whiney moron.
You mean Penguin or the customer?

So the painting was by a black man, originates from South Africa.

"South Africans are used to having open talks around race and racism, this translates into our artwork. We are used to seeing protest work," she said.

"This piece does not mean that black people should be toasted, instead it can be interpreted as black people have been toasted by racism and oppression."

So Penguin fails because:
1. Its from S Africa. So doesnt fit with everyone else but the Chinese are racist, especially the whiteys in Western Europe and all the hated neighbours of China including Japan, Korea etc and the nasty people in Hong Kong.
2. Painted by a black artist.
3. Is an anti racist picture.
4. Customer is a whiny idiot.
[The picture was] completely insensitive to one of the worst periods of human history. The famous toaster wars.
Last edited by 999tigger; 5 days ago
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
maybe the artist was trying to do Pop Art but it came out wrong ?

:dontknow:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D4...XnuXvhR3g=s720
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
" [The picture was] completely insensitive to one of the worst periods of human history.
Strange. I don't remember being taught about that particular period of history when black people were stuffed into giant toasters.
999tigger
Report 5 days ago
China's most wanted the evil racist toasting executioner

1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Colin Hill, head of Nando’s has apologised for the artwork, which was on the walls of the brand in the Perry Barr area of the city after the customer contacted him about it via LinkedIn.

It shows four people of colour who have been historically subject to degradation and hardship in an implement – here, a toaster – used to cook or burn bread.

It’s an absolute disgrace that in this day and age, a painting like that can appear in as popular a food chain in modern Britain as Nando’s.

As a black man, I think this is completely unacceptable, weird, and deeply offensive."

https://www.indy100.com/article/nand...aurant-9173471
IDKW but the picture makes me laugh (i'm black) plus i might go to nando's today lol just me i guess? lol people including myself are too sensitive these days...
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
IDKW but the picture makes me laugh (i'm black) plus i might go to nando's today lol just me i guess?
It could well be that nobody in Africa would have a problem either, only here in the West packed with racial agitators.

Name:  angry_penguin_by_terratus_d4u6776-fullview.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  114.3 KB
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
It could well be that nobody in Africa would have a problem either, only here in the West packed with racial agitators.

Name:  angry_penguin_by_terratus_d4u6776-fullview.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  114.3 KB
lol true
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Presumably the picture has now been taken down and the boss has apologised. I'm not really sure if there's anything more that needs to be done. :dontknow:
999tigger
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Presumably the picture has now been taken down and the boss has apologised. I'm not really sure if there's anything more that needs to be done. :dontknow:
You forget the point is to show the UK as being racist along the lines of 75% of angery penguins threads.
Except its paonted by a Black S African and happens tro be an anti racist painting, but truth never stopped angery penguin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (241)
66.21%
No (123)
33.79%

Watched Threads