The Student Room Group

Nando's apologises for racist painting depicting black people in a toaster

Colin Hill, head of Nando’s has apologised for the artwork, which was on the walls of the brand in the Perry Barr area of the city after the customer contacted him about it via LinkedIn.

" [The picture was] completely insensitive to one of the worst periods of human history.

It shows four people of colour who have been historically subject to degradation and hardship in an implement here, a toaster used to cook or burn bread.

It’s an absolute disgrace that in this day and age, a painting like that can appear in as popular a food chain in modern Britain as Nando’s.

As a black man, I think this is completely unacceptable, weird, and deeply offensive."

https://www.indy100.com/article/nandos-racist-painting-black-people-toaster-london-restaurant-9173471

Scroll to see replies

This is beyond stupid.

Man who painted it said it was about unemployment in south Africa.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-10-25-sa-artists-painting-of-four-black-men-in-toaster-decried-as-racist-in-uk/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
God what a whiney moron.
Reply 3
Ideally, they would ask another black man just to make sure. Best of three, if that's what it takes.
He has every right to be mad. You may not see it from his perspective because it isn’t personal to you.
But you'd never fit them in a toaster. It's a struggle sometimes to even get a crumpet in...
Maybe a rotary toaster like this would work:

E841_1_1.jpg
All of a sudden I'm craving toast...:curious:
Kind of amusing it was painted by a black man and is supposed to be a social commentary/anti-racist piece of art work. I mean does the guy complaining literally think it's meant to be saying put black people in a toaster?
Most of Nando’s art work are by black or minorities so obviously it has a deeper message that is not racist. Isn’t that common knowledge? It’s literally on the back of their menus.
Found some of these comments interesting.
Original post by joey11223
Kind of amusing it was painted by a black man and is supposed to be a social commentary/anti-racist piece of art work. I mean does the guy complaining literally think it's meant to be saying put black people in a toaster?

There you go, an explanation.

Nandos also has black chickens on pieces of art, does this mean Nandos are advocating the frying of black people?

I think it's quite dangerous that people ( including me ) jumped to the conclusion it was racist.
Original post by Napp
God what a whiney moron.

You mean Penguin or the customer?

So the painting was by a black man, originates from South Africa.

"South Africans are used to having open talks around race and racism, this translates into our artwork. We are used to seeing protest work," she said.

"This piece does not mean that black people should be toasted, instead it can be interpreted as black people have been toasted by racism and oppression."

So Penguin fails because:
1. Its from S Africa. So doesnt fit with everyone else but the Chinese are racist, especially the whiteys in Western Europe and all the hated neighbours of China including Japan, Korea etc and the nasty people in Hong Kong.
2. Painted by a black artist.
3. Is an anti racist picture.
4. Customer is a whiny idiot.
[The picture was] completely insensitive to one of the worst periods of human history. The famous toaster wars.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by AngeryPenguin
" [The picture was] completely insensitive to one of the worst periods of human history.

Strange. I don't remember being taught about that particular period of history when black people were stuffed into giant toasters.
China's most wanted the evil racist toasting executioner

Original post by AngeryPenguin
Colin Hill, head of Nando’s has apologised for the artwork, which was on the walls of the brand in the Perry Barr area of the city after the customer contacted him about it via LinkedIn.

It shows four people of colour who have been historically subject to degradation and hardship in an implement here, a toaster used to cook or burn bread.

It’s an absolute disgrace that in this day and age, a painting like that can appear in as popular a food chain in modern Britain as Nando’s.

As a black man, I think this is completely unacceptable, weird, and deeply offensive."

https://www.indy100.com/article/nandos-racist-painting-black-people-toaster-london-restaurant-9173471

IDKW but the picture makes me laugh (i'm black) plus i might go to nando's today lol just me i guess? lol people including myself are too sensitive these days...
Reply 16
Original post by 1st superstar
IDKW but the picture makes me laugh (i'm black) plus i might go to nando's today lol just me i guess?

It could well be that nobody in Africa would have a problem either, only here in the West packed with racial agitators.

angry_penguin_by_terratus_d4u6776-fullview.jpg
Original post by z-hog
It could well be that nobody in Africa would have a problem either, only here in the West packed with racial agitators.

angry_penguin_by_terratus_d4u6776-fullview.jpg

lol true
Presumably the picture has now been taken down and the boss has apologised. I'm not really sure if there's anything more that needs to be done. :dontknow:
Original post by 04MR17
Presumably the picture has now been taken down and the boss has apologised. I'm not really sure if there's anything more that needs to be done. :dontknow:

You forget the point is to show the UK as being racist along the lines of 75% of angery penguins threads.
Except its paonted by a Black S African and happens tro be an anti racist painting, but truth never stopped angery penguin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending