?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Last edited by Azagthoa; 5 months ago
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The thing is the whole thing is a bit creepy, it sounds like it’s literally having people paid to listen in to conversations.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The video isn't that bad, it is 5 minutes and does speak a lot of sense which should really be common sense. The general message is don't be a ****.

The video does not as you claim say "Shakespeare is only studied and celebrated because of racism". Although "Decolonising" is awful use of the English language and doesn't actually describe what it being done. It is diversification of studied characters focusing less on the Westerners that are familiar to us to look at the rest of the world. There is nothing colonial about it.

Diversification of the curriculum should not be viewed as a bad thing, different perspectives from around the world can help to better shape one's view.

The student champions thing seems to have been misrepresented by the media, the official statement says they will be running optional workshops to start the conversation rather than outwardly challenging random people. Interestingly these champions will not be looking at all micro-aggression, only those that effect BAME people.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sounds delightfully stalinist in its outlook.
Nevermind the utter lunacy of believing in so called 'microaggressions'
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I found the "I don't find Asian people attractive" and "I haven't been attracted to a non-white girl before" quotes as racism interesting. In that surely you're sexual preferences relating to phenotype aren't exactly a consciously racist thing to comment on? I know a guy who finds very dark skin a trait to which he is not attracted, it does not make them somehow lesser, he simply cannot find it an attractive physical trait. I imagine there are situations in reverse where a BAME (...guess I'll use the acronym) individual may not find pale skin as attractive as their own skin tone, for instance. Or some may find the bone structure in the face of some ethnicity less attractive than others. Obviously I suppose they're saying it's an inappropriate thing to just blurt out, but the latter statement particularly..is simply a statement of fact. Maybe it's just me, I mean if someone said to me sorry I suppose I just don't find white men as attractive as middle eastern men (for instance), I wouldn't be offended, their tastes are their own and likely subconscious.

Personally I don't find thin girls particularly attractive, that doesn't cause me to discriminate or think lesser of them, it is literally a physical aspect of a female that isn't my physical preference if I was pressed to make a choice, however it isn't a conscious choice. I guess I'm thin-shaming, or something like that.

I do wonder how far we can go down this slippery slope.

By the by amusingly privilege wise at a supermarket I used to work at. I will say white privilege is the assumption your £50 is fake and you are trying to scam us, £50 notes from far east shoppers are okay though. Though that's in jest, It is clear race gives its own advantages where you're the majority. I expect it is similar in other countries too be honest. I have also found interestingly this week, though this isn't race related, that awaiting a death certificate is more cumbersome if you're not of certain faiths. Due to religious requirements the bodies of the followers of those faiths are put to the front of the queue and those not are pushed back to make allowance...I'll know that for future reference.
Last edited by joey11223; 9 months ago
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Azagthoa)
Some very strange happenings appear to have been recently at University of Sheffield. The introduction of students being paid to tackle racism and microagressions by listening in on other people's conversations and reporting if they hear any racist language used. Such examples of racist language include:

"Why are you searching for things to be offended about?"
"Where are you from?"
"I don't want to hear about your holiday to South Africa. It's nowhere near where I'm from"

(Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education...eporting-story)

And now freshers are to watch a five minute anti racism video as part of their induction. This bizarre video includes statements such as

Shakespeare is only studied and celebrated because of racism.

All white people, no matter how poor or seemingly disadvantaged are actually privileged. Therefore white people are not allowed to use certain phrases on campus. If they do, please report them for 'microaggressions' to a paid member of staff who will discipline them.

https://vimeo.com/359718835

So what do you guys think? A necessary part of making university a more tolerant place to be?
There was a thread about this a wee while ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6310362
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Some very strange happenings appear to have been recently at University of Sheffield. The introduction of students being paid to tackle racism and microagressions by listening in on other people's conversations and reporting if they hear any racist language used. Such examples of racist language include:

"Where are you from?"
"I don't want to hear about your holiday to South Africa. It's nowhere near where I'm from"

And now freshers are to watch a five minute anti racism video as part of their induction. This bizarre video includes statements such as

All white people, no matter how poor or seemingly disadvantaged are actually privileged. Therefore white people are not allowed to use certain phrases on campus. If they do, please report them for 'microaggressions' to a paid member of staff who will discipline them.

So what do you guys think? A necessary part of making university a more tolerant place to be?
It's so f*ckin Orwellian. From the thought police to the falsifying of the past and doublethink and even the 2 minute hate!
Really creepy.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Not gonna lie. That video triggered me a bit and I have Sheffield as a choice.

Hopefully some people of 'colour' will see how silly this is and do some trolling on campus with these thought police.

Racism is bad but gods of Egypt or the lone ranger has nothing to do with racism lol.
That being said I think Sheffield should do the decent thing and ban all white people from the university.😛

Ok now I'm trolling haha.
Seriously though it's the university bubble in a nutshell. Just how it is. If you see racism call it out but don't be a prat patrolling the campus listening in to people's conservations lol.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Sounds delightfully stalinist in its outlook.
Nevermind the utter lunacy of believing in so called 'microaggressions'
I still don't really understand what a 'microaggression' is. Could a badly-timed fart be construed thus?
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Lol what is the need for this. If you personally experience racism and get offended, you can easily report the incident.
z-hog
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Race has become an industry for all sorts to exploit and be exploited, spivs preying on souls. We are breeding racism at institutional levels, not tackling it.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I still don't really understand what a 'microaggression' is. Could a badly-timed fart be construed thus?
To me it seems like a convenient excuse to bludgeon people you dont like for imagined 'slights'. Like hearing about people whining about these 'microaggressions' for someone mispronouncing their name or looking at them. What has this world come to?

On the farting one, i feel it could be a serious aggression depending on quality and quantity
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
None of these processes are designed to help real victims of racism. They are processes that are clearly designed for one purpose and one purpose only, to scare students/staff. They are processes that are so easily abused by people. They undermine racism. These processes will no doubt be abused by both staff and students to further certain interests, push and promote certain ideologies. Our universities are slowly becoming cesspits of authoritarianism, corruption, exploitation and abuse...and this is all because they are autonomous and not answerable to students and the public in any way.

In this country, despite the fact that the tax payer pays for almost the entirety of a university's expenses, they are autonomous and not answerable to the public in any way. We need this to change. We need controls on universities. Controls unlike what we have at present, the QAA, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator and the Office for Students...all highly conflicted, useless, corrupt quangos whose entire purpose for existence is to protect universities from students and the tax payer rather than the other way around. We also need a proper student union as opposed to the crap, zero authority, useless one that we have now, that's good for one purpose and one purpose only...the Totum card, which everyone gets for the 10% discount in co-op...

I would not mind paying £500 a year from my maintenance loan for these things. I mean, there are how many students in HE in the UK? 2 million? thats 1 billion pounds a year...This would more than cover the costs of a proper union at least, run by qualified professionals providing desperately needed services essential to students like legal advice, victim support etc.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 9 months ago
Lucifer323
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

"Where are you from?"

Absolutely ridiculous!!

The University is trying to protect revenue and good image by finding refuge to these unacceptable ways and highly questionable in terms of the law...

I have posted something in religion forums : Academic Dismissed for criticising religion
Have a look if you are interested

These matters are very similar as policing ideas and thoughts apart from unethical are also unlawful in most cases. But can have an impact
in someones career ... Student or teacher
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
They'll end up getting off on their egos wandering round campus with baseball bats just like at Evergreen.
https://images.app.goo.gl/of2BBPyAkD7Wa2bp6
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Anyone with IBS at the University of Sheffield should be expelled.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
Anyone with IBS at the University of Sheffield should be expelled.
No Platform That Farter!
Toscana
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
whenever i hear racism, all i hear is "stop being racist white people". maybe ive been listening to too much american ****
YUSLP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
All this tells me is that TUOS has a big racism problem. I have seen several articles published over the years regarding racist offenses students have said or written whilst at the university.

So this doesnt surprise me at all. They wouldnt go this far unless there was a real issue at the uni which news articles suggest there is. Alot of unis cover up incidents but to me its likely TUOS has a racism issue.

As a minority myself who is about to study there, thats not the best news to hear. Buuuut if any whites wish to get rowdy. Then lets parley babes.
Kubsyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

But what about black people being racist to white people?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (782)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.71%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads