meggie123x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So, I am currently studying drama and performance at university in London and would love to become a professional actor and so I just wanted to ask, do drama school and studying drama at university hold the same value? I love the course I'm on at the moment massively, but drama school is in the back of my head as I don't know what the better option is to actually succeed in the acting industry. I am completely aware of how hard it is to get into drama school, meaning I probably wouldn't get in anyway. But if i was to get in, what is my best option here? Keeping in mind my love for the course I'm currently on, as well as wanting to do well in the industry. Thank you for any advice or replies it's much appreciated!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by meggie123x)
So, I am currently studying drama and performance at university in London and would love to become a professional actor and so I just wanted to ask, do drama school and studying drama at university hold the same value? I love the course I'm on at the moment massively, but drama school is in the back of my head as I don't know what the better option is to actually succeed in the acting industry. I am completely aware of how hard it is to get into drama school, meaning I probably wouldn't get in anyway. But if i was to get in, what is my best option here? Keeping in mind my love for the course I'm currently on, as well as wanting to do well in the industry. Thank you for any advice or replies it's much appreciated!
Have you looked into the sorts of courses offered by drama schools?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by meggie123x)
Dear Meggie,

If you are set on becoming an actor then my short answer would be to probably go to a drama school.

If you attend a university then for the majority you will be completing the course by having a healthy balance of performance, academic writing, referencing and research. This isn't an issue but it does mean that your time is split up between academic writing and practice. You can still certainly become an actor regardless of where you go but your curriculum and skill-set once you leave could be vastly different.

The best advice I could give is to make a list of the institutions you are wishing to go to then look at the course content, how you are assessed and explore what links they have to the industry.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Patrick :lep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (491)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (610)
41.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (299)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed