flatmates making moving out difficult

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so i live in a flatshare, and am moving home for health reasons. as soon as i told my flatmates (also students my age i have mutual friends with), they got extremely aggressive and have been sending horrible messages since. i know two other girls have moved out of a flatshare with them as they didn't get on, and i moved in replacing one. the flatmate who lived there then got extremely carried away with avenging the girl moving out, purposefully blocking and not considering any replacements she found so she would pay more money on the rent. i can't make any decisions on deferring my year at uni until someone moves in because i cannot pay the rent without student finance, of which the final installment will come in april (i only have money for this month and next iwthout the next installment). i'm really worried about what to do because i signed a contract that i must pay rent until i find a replacement and the current flatmates must agree with whoever it is to move in.
it's causing me so much anxiety i can't sleep, eat or go to uni, making my health so much worse. has anyone ever gotten out of a similar situation?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is your landlord your university or a private landlord?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
so i live in a flatshare, and am moving home for health reasons. as soon as i told my flatmates (also students my age i have mutual friends with), they got extremely aggressive and have been sending horrible messages since. i know two other girls have moved out of a flatshare with them as they didn't get on, and i moved in replacing one. the flatmate who lived there then got extremely carried away with avenging the girl moving out, purposefully blocking and not considering any replacements she found so she would pay more money on the rent. i can't make any decisions on deferring my year at uni until someone moves in because i cannot pay the rent without student finance, of which the final installment will come in april (i only have money for this month and next iwthout the next installment). i'm really worried about what to do because i signed a contract that i must pay rent until i find a replacement and the current flatmates must agree with whoever it is to move in.
it's causing me so much anxiety i can't sleep, eat or go to uni, making my health so much worse. has anyone ever gotten out of a similar situation?
Give an example of messages.
Have they said anywhere they wont co operate with a new flatmate moving in?
On a practical level I think you would find it extremely hard to find anyone to take the flat at this stage. If you can get it so that they refuse to consider anyone else, then talk to Shelter and it might give you grounds to leave if they refuse people.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Go and see your GP plus get a doctors note about the effect as well.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry to bump a dead thread but on this, does anyone have any good ideas for how to solve this kind of issue im in a similar problem and the current flatmates are making getting a replacement a serious problem - they both insist of being present at every viewing (despite never doing that with previous replacements) and refuse to work to a reasonable timetable e.g. only on tuesday at 8pm .. like wtf?!
Nevermind they got *****y that i listed the room 'without telling them' despite me saying 'im moving out' :lol:
If the landlady didnt hold my deposit i'd simply dump it on them as they want to control the process and leave but alas. So, anyone know how to deal with weirdos like this?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Sorry to bump a dead thread but on this, does anyone have any good ideas for how to solve this kind of issue im in a similar problem and the current flatmates are making getting a replacement a serious problem - they both insist of being present at every viewing (despite never doing that with previous replacements) and refuse to work to a reasonable timetable e.g. only on tuesday at 8pm .. like wtf?!
Nevermind they got *****y that i listed the room 'without telling them' despite me saying 'im moving out' :lol:
If the landlady didnt hold my deposit i'd simply dump it on them as they want to control the process and leave but alas. So, anyone know how to deal with weirdos like this?
How is your lease set up? Is it separate contracts for each room or a joint tenancy?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
How is your lease set up? Is it separate contracts for each room or a joint tenancy?
Joint, the land lady said i can break it so long as the others are fine with the new person but theyre just making it needlessly difficult by refusing to let me do viewings at reasonable times and insisting that both of them be there.. wwhich is odd because the last time we got a new person in it was fine me just doing the viewings and reporting back. It appears i made an error in choice with who i chose last time :lol:
I have a suspicion theyre just pissy i wont be there to subsidies their electricity bill anymore :lol:
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Joint, the land lady said i can break it so long as the others are fine with the new person but theyre just making it needlessly difficult by refusing to let me do viewings at reasonable times and insisting that both of them be there.. wwhich is odd because the last time we got a new person in it was fine me just doing the viewings and reporting back. It appears i made an error in choice with who i chose last time :lol:
I have a suspicion theyre just pissy i wont be there to subsidies their electricity bill anymore :lol:
I hate to say it but you are kind of ****ed, you will likely have to go along with their unreasonable demands.

I take it staying till the end of tenancy isn't an option, nor is just paying for the rent till the end also isn't on the books?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hate to say it but you are kind of ****ed, you will likely have to go along with their unreasonable demands.

I take it staying till the end of tenancy isn't an option, nor is just paying for the rent till the end also isn't on the books?
Nope, im moving due to it being excessively pricey for what it is (cold and damp - welcome to Wellington) and the fact i spend most of the time at my partners anyway so she asked me to move in - saves a tonne on rent and ubers and her having to pay her flatmates extra bills for what i use aha
im deeply tempted to just dump the process on them. Their request was i do it all, finding a new person etc. which is tried to do and if they dont like it and want it on their schedule as opposed to mine.. well...
There is one interesting bit though, one of then pilfered a tv ages ago and im not sure how to get it back without it being extremely awkward or simply taking the table i got lent as payment in kind :lol:
Ah moving is a pain in the ass :rolleyes:
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Nope, im moving due to it being excessively pricey for what it is (cold and damp - welcome to Wellington) and the fact i spend most of the time at my partners anyway so she asked me to move in - saves a tonne on rent and ubers and her having to pay her flatmates extra bills for what i use aha
im deeply tempted to just dump the process on them. Their request was i do it all, finding a new person etc. which is tried to do and if they dont like it and want it on their schedule as opposed to mine.. well...
There is one interesting bit though, one of then pilfered a tv ages ago and im not sure how to get it back without it being extremely awkward or simply taking the table i got lent as payment in kind :lol:
I would imagine NZ law is similar enough to UK with jointly and severally liable. May be worth just getting someone in and if you think they would be a good fit get them to come over for a second visit to meet your flatmate after an initial viewing without them. Bit more long winded but at least you could shortlist someone without it being a load of hassle arranging everyone to be there for what is just a 5 minute walk around.
evetorres2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
What is a kiwi doing on a UK student forum?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evetorres2)
You made an account just to post this, do pipe down.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evetorres2)
I'm British, i just live here
I would imagine NZ law is similar enough to UK with jointly and severally liable. May be worth just getting someone in and if you think they would be a good fit get them to come over for a second visit to meet your flatmate after an initial viewing without them. Bit more long winded but at least you could shortlist someone without it being a load of hassle arranging everyone to be there for what is just a 5 minute walk around.
Indeed, heres hoping it works as at present its becoming more and more awkward and enraging having to deal with these morons :lol:
Thanks for the advice though
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Indeed, heres hoping it works as at present its becoming more and more awkward and enraging having to deal with these morons :lol:
Thanks for the advice though
This is why I don't work in resi property :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads