School forcing me to do an exam I don't want to Watch

kxpoor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So here's the backstory:
I am Sikh, so the school assumed I'm Indian and would know Punjabi, this is very wrong and I'm from Afghanistan and I have very little knowledge of Punjabi. Theyve been pursuing me to do it for months and everytime I get angrier in my response saying no but they entered me into the exams anyways without my permission(I denied) I said to the teacher I'm Afghani I don't know it they say 'do it anyways' 'oh well'

They said it will replace my 1 hour a week of PE and with 3 months to go I don't think I'll be able to learn all 4 exams and get a good grade aswell as because I've been stressed from the exams I had already. Not only this, they entered us all for foundation Punjabi, not higher and it'll just leave a bad mark as a failure or low grade because I'm predicted an 8 for everything.

Are they allowed to do this?
Also what are my options, can the exam board also help?
Any help or discussion on this topic will help
Study2212
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This is so wrong! Is the school independent or state? Did you have to pay for the exams?
kxpoor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Study2212)
This is so wrong! Is the school independent or state? Did you have to pay for the exams?
I didn't have to pay and it's an academy with support from state, so it's a bit of both.
Study2212
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by kxpoor)
I didn't have to pay and it's an academy with support from state, so it's a bit of both.
If i were you i just wouldnt turn up to the exam. or tell your parents to complain
kxpoor
Rep:
?
If i were you i just wouldnt turn up to the exam. or tell your parents to complain
Yea my parents are planning to complain, tbh it's a bit racist that they see turban and assume Indian/Punjabi. Also yeah I would not turn up to it but I don't want to have a failed exam on my record :/
Study2212
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yea my parents are planning to complain, tbh it's a bit racist that they see turban and assume Indian/Punjabi. Also yeah I would not turn up to it but I don't want to have a failed exam on my record :/
i was in the exact same position as you but for arabic but i had to pay for it so my dad didnt pay for it and put the teachers in their place. i wouldnt say its abit racist its completely racist. but yeah get your parents in for sure
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
They can't enter you for an exam without your parents permission - get them to write refusing to let you take the exam. The school can withdraw you without charge at the moment.
reinaadira
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i was in the exact same position as you but for arabic but i had to pay for it so my dad didnt pay for it and put the teachers in their place. i wouldnt say its abit racist its completely racist. but yeah get your parents in for sure
To be honest I don't really like the word racist being thrown out everywhere

The literal definition is:
"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior"

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races"

I do think that it is incredibly inconsiderate and a form of prejudice
MadMathsMum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Surely this is discriminatory as you are being treated differently based on your race/ ethnicity / religion. You are also being denied access to PE
Inform your school in writting that you have no intention of taking the exam and that you are feeling "bullied" to do so. Copy letter to Chair of Governors and to Local Education Department for your council.
GCSE timetables have already been issued for the summer exams. This will show your candidate number etc - I guess you could also contact the exam board directly and explain that you are being entered without your consent.
As a parent I have never had to provide permission for my children to sit public exams - so it does not surprise me that the school have been able to do this.
Xkxrry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Make sure and create written complaints and inform as high a possible education board. Crazy as it may sound, prehaps your local MP, they have major local influence and can help you take it further. They work for you and they should never charge you
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Make a fuss - and put in in writing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (236)
66.67%
No (118)
33.33%

Watched Threads