Cabinet reshuffle: Sajid Javid quits as Chancellor Watch

StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51491662

Sajid Javid has quit as Chancellor, claiming Boris Johnson asked him to fire his team of aides in the cabinet reshuffle - something he refused to do.

He has been replaced as chancellor by Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak - who just seven months ago was a junior housing minister.

What do you think of the cabinet reshuffle? Do you think Boris is making the right choices?
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I see a new 'night of the long knives' is in order. Cummings surrounding all key positions with yes men.

BoJo cant even bring together his own party let alone the country. We're all f'ked
Last edited by Guru Jason; 1 week ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
win-win for boris... either Javid bends the knee.. or he brings in someone who will be so grateful for the role that they will do exactly whats asked of them.

Only thing that takes a hit is his public opinion.. but who cares about that? He doesn't need public opinion any more, and people will have long forgotten about this by the next time it matters to him.

As for the nation.. I don't know. Javid was meant to be reliable, and had a good story behind him, but he never inspired me particularly. Sunak did well during the election and is meant to be very talented, so maybe he will come good.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think its Boris flexing his new found muscles, we will judge on the results at the next GE, it's only right a leader picks his closest team, Boris unfortunately had to do that with a much reduced team during the last parliament.

It's going to be an interesting few years.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Find it hilarious that apparently the Downing Street nickname for him was 'Chino.' It's hard to see that that hasn't got racist undertones, which then sums up the incompetence of our government.
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It’s only fair to see how Mr Sunak does before making judgements as to whether the right decision was made. Apparently he’s very intelligent and has done well in his career so far, but we will see how he does in this new position soon enough.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I think its Boris flexing his new found muscles, we will judge on the results at the next GE, it's only right a leader picks his closest team, Boris unfortunately had to do that with a much reduced team during the last parliament.

It's going to be an interesting few years.
Pick his team or pick his team's team?

Surely he picked his team but didnt get it so has a member from the B team instead?
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Winchester College 40k pa, Oxford, hedge fund manager and married to daughter of Indian billionaire.

Remember kids if you work hard you can achieve anything, and there no obstacles to politics from any background
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Winchester College 40k pa, Oxford, hedge fund manager and married to daughter of Indian billionaire.

Remember kids if you work hard you can achieve anything, and there no obstacles to politics from any background
Huh?
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Quady)
Pick his team or pick his team's team?

Surely he picked his team but didnt get it so has a member from the B team instead?
This is fair, I dont agree with surrpou9nfjng yourself with yes men so I'm not going to defend him. As I said will an interesting few years
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm not entirely surprised that Sunak was given a very prominent role in the cabinet, given how much Johnson and Cummings trust him (they even let him be the face of the Tories in recent election debates). I wouldn't be surprised, either, if it later comes out that the conditions on Javid's continuation as Chancellor were a ploy to get rid of him without having to sack him.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Impressive, that useless meat sack has finally stood up for something worthwhile.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
x
What have negroes got to do with this sorry?
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
He probably criticised HS2 lol.
Anyone who dares question the party line is shipped out. Filling a cabinet with yes-men never ends well.
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads