bluemango7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’ve been offered a place to study textiles at Bournemouth university of arts (AUB) and Nottingham Trent.

For me, the course at AUB is more preferred but I’m worried if I go there I will miss out on mixing with a wide variety of people due to the Uni being separate to Bournemouth Uni and that AUB is art based. In addition, the accommodation is too far a walk so I’d have to pay for the bus.

My reasons for choosing Nottingham is that: everything is within walking distance, you mix with a variety of students (different subjects other than art based) and their student union is larger. (Their course is good also, but AUB is more suited I think)

If you go to either of the Uni’s please could you give me an honest opinion on your university life?

I know it’s the course I’m paying for but I don’t want to miss out on the other things that come with going to Uni

Thanks
khanbee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am not a student in any of these universities but I am considering studying at UAL or NTU for postgrad degree. As a fellow textiles student i recommend choosing NTU. Our profession requires connections and if going to nottingham helps you make friends within and outside your field of study it could be beneficial for you in the future.
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bluemango7)
I’ve been offered a place to study textiles at Bournemouth university of arts (AUB) and Nottingham Trent.

For me, the course at AUB is more preferred but I’m worried if I go there I will miss out on mixing with a wide variety of people due to the Uni being separate to Bournemouth Uni and that AUB is art based. In addition, the accommodation is too far a walk so I’d have to pay for the bus.

My reasons for choosing Nottingham is that: everything is within walking distance, you mix with a variety of students (different subjects other than art based) and their student union is larger. (Their course is good also, but AUB is more suited I think)

If you go to either of the Uni’s please could you give me an honest opinion on your university life?

I know it’s the course I’m paying for but I don’t want to miss out on the other things that come with going to Uni

Thanks
Hey, I'm a student at BU and as we are right next door to AUB we actually share many facilities. For example, AUB students join many of the clubs and societies we have. The SUBU building is just over the road from the AUB base so it would be worth you attending the BU freshers fair as well as the AUB one. You can also come in to use all of our buildings like the library, cafe's and sport BU.

In terms of the accommodation, most of the BU students stay in the halls in Lansdowne, which I believe is the same for AUB. The halls managed by BU include a bus pass in the rent, I'm not sure what AUB do but you'd certainly be using the same busses as us.

There are also other privately managed student accommodations locally which might be worth looking at such as Skyline, Home Park and Belaton House. I think it would be worth enquiring if it's possible to share a flat with both AUB and BU students at these options.

Although the Lansdowne campus is further from the Talbot campus/AUB than other unis might have their accommodation (about a 10 minute bus journey), it is right in the centre of town so is great for nightlife, railway/coach access, the beach, restaurants, the student union bar etc so most of our students would actually want to be located here as opposed to Talbot.

Have you visited Bournemouth at all? Perhaps at an open day? I would recommend popping over to the BU buildings at Talbot, get a feel for our campus too while you are there and also have a good wonder around town. If you visit Lansdowne, you'll see so many halls of residence that you'll be able to feel how close they all are to the town centre, most being a 5-10 minute walk from the others and many along the same stretch of road.

Do you have any questions about Bournemouth?

Vicki
lepetitjuif
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BU Students)
Hey, I'm a student at BU and as we are right next door to AUB we actually share many facilities. For example, AUB students join many of the clubs and societies we have. The SUBU building is just over the road from the AUB base so it would be worth you attending the BU freshers fair as well as the AUB one. You can also come in to use all of our buildings like the library, cafe's and sport BU.

In terms of the accommodation, most of the BU students stay in the halls in Lansdowne, which I believe is the same for AUB. The halls managed by BU include a bus pass in the rent, I'm not sure what AUB do but you'd certainly be using the same busses as us.

There are also other privately managed student accommodations locally which might be worth looking at such as Skyline, Home Park and Belaton House. I think it would be worth enquiring if it's possible to share a flat with both AUB and BU students at these options.

Although the Lansdowne campus is further from the Talbot campus/AUB than other unis might have their accommodation (about a 10 minute bus journey), it is right in the centre of town so is great for nightlife, railway/coach access, the beach, restaurants, the student union bar etc so most of our students would actually want to be located here as opposed to Talbot.

Have you visited Bournemouth at all? Perhaps at an open day? I would recommend popping over to the BU buildings at Talbot, get a feel for our campus too while you are there and also have a good wonder around town. If you visit Lansdowne, you'll see so many halls of residence that you'll be able to feel how close they all are to the town centre, most being a 5-10 minute walk from the others and many along the same stretch of road.

Do you have any questions about Bournemouth?

Vicki
I do
What activities except from clubbing and the beach are available in Bournemouth?
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lepetitjuif)
I do
What activities except from clubbing and the beach are available in Bournemouth?
There are loads of activities available, it depends what you like doing really? We have indoor and outdoor mini golf, cinema, loads and loads of restaurants (and gyms), we are only a short train ride (20 minutes) from the New Forest where you can do endless walks or mountain biking, there are paintball centres, you can go climbing, hop on a train to London which is only an hour and a half, go along the coast to Lulworth Cove, visit local areas of outstanding beauty such as Brownsea Island or Hengistbury head, volunteer with local food banks or conservation projects, go to see a show at the Pavillion, relax with friends in the gardens, hire a Beryl bike, water sports over at Sandbanks or join one of the clubs and societies (have a look at them as they are not all sporty - something to look into for freshers week).

There is honestly lots to do here :-)

Vicki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (559)
34.04%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.23%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.16%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.57%

Watched Threads