ellaswords
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was wondering how i’d go about the above? i know reading is often recommended, but i read a lot, and it doesn’t seem to help me a lot. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 😊
hxdzz_m
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
try having to learn a word a day and make it a challenge for you to say that word at least 5 times in a sentence
ellaswords
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxdzz_m)
try having to learn a word a day and make it a challenge for you to say that word at least 5 times in a sentence
how would you recommend doing that? 😊
ReadingMum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
do you look up any words that you come across in a book and don't know?
Just reading and skimming over words won't help - use a kindle and actually look up every word you are not sure on. Also make sure you are actually reading books which use a wide vocabulary.
ellaswords
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
do you look up any words that you come across in a book and don't know?
Just reading and skimming over words won't help - use a kindle and actually look up every word you are not sure on. Also make sure you are actually reading books which use a wide vocabulary.
no. i don’t. i often get too absorbed into a book to be bothered to look it up. i’ll try that next time. thank you 😊
WoodlandSorcerer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can’t really think of many ways better than reading tbh. But that would mean having a pen and paper nearby and writing down every word you don’t know, looking up its meaning and making sure you memorise it. It might be worth reading older books which will sometimes contain richer, older vocabulary. And literary classics and poetry from the early 1900s and 1800s will also generally contain a lot of colourful vocabulary.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Read more challenging texts.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
with the kindle (and wifi) you can hold your finger on a word and it gives you an instant definition. I got my daughter one for that very reason.
hartley131
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
there's so many books - fiction that are just fun to read, non fiction for science and history type stuff and there's some great books on how to improve your writing.
Other suggestions - watch youtube videos, either academic (you can choose a topic that you are interested in) or watch debates. Jordan Peterson is a great example. Debating is also good practice for other parts of English writing and speaking.
CelqOne
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I myself struggle with vocabulary as well.

However I learn new words by listening to music and look up words I don’t know of a song that I like. I like to listen to songs repeatedly for like weeks so help me remember the new word I learnt.

Similar fashion is learn poems.
Alternatively, learn some brutish sayings or phrases that have words you don’t know of.

Video games or interactive media helps too. Albeit doesn’t work if your English is intermediate or above level.

Read the news everyday, because the news often talk about the same kind of stuff. Pick one of the word you don’t know and look it up. Then the next few days you read news again you’ll know what it means.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Read some classic literature. Some of it is drab (unpopular opinion) but the language use is almost always splendid.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ellaswords)
I was wondering how i’d go about the above? i know reading is often recommended, but i read a lot, and it doesn’t seem to help me a lot. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 😊
I used to be a terrible speller. I started reading and some thing clicked. I started reading foreign books translated into English. I also did crosswords. Make you think
shafi5824
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if i was you i would give up, its too late, you've waited too long to expand, your lazy, and until you do something about it, your vocabulary will stay the same
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make it fun by provoking your mates with unfamiliar vocabulary. I learned ubiquitous, internecine and insensate like this in 1995.
hxdzz_m
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how would you recommend doing that? 😊
https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/
heres a website that might interest you

so in school for example whenever you have a conversation you try to use this word (of course in context) and you have to say it in conversation about 3 times a day (whatever suits your fancy)
ellaswords
Rep:
?
(Original post by shafi5824)
if i was you i would give up, its too late, you've waited too long to expand, your lazy, and until you do something about it, your vocabulary will stay the same
i’m trying to do something about it?
contradictory much 🤨
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
contradictory much 🤨
Try to think of synonyms and antonyms as you write, particularly for words you tend to use a lot. Challenge yourself to write down as many synonyms you can think of for a particular concept (and make sure you understand the shades of meaning which make those words different from each other).
ellaswords
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxdzz_m)
https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/
heres a website that might interest you

so in school for example whenever you have a conversation you try to use this word (of course in context) and you have to say it in conversation about 3 times a day (whatever suits your fancy)
right, okay. thank you 😊
Gamingexpertnot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
contradictory much 🤨
Dont get on ellas wrong side lol
kiyuni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i’m not sure if this has been said (i’m sorry if it has) but i have an app called ‘word of the day’, lil blue icon, it’s super good at giving a word & it’s meaning every single day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads