Louis2003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I struggle to answer aqa science questions. In particular those labelled 'explain' or 'suggest' because even though I feel as though I have the knowledge and content as my disposal my answers are often unable to line up with what is shown on the mark scheme.

Is it that I'm not clever enough to access these marks or is there some underlying formula that I can apply to the questions?
SusannaW
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Louis2003)
I struggle to answer aqa science questions. In particular those labelled 'explain' or 'suggest' because even though I feel as though I have the knowledge and content as my disposal my answers are often unable to line up with what is shown on the mark scheme.

Is it that I'm not clever enough to access these marks or is there some underlying formula that I can apply to the questions?
Sometimes all you need is practise! I think lots of people find the wordier questions challenging so don’t worry.
Also, if there are any 4-6 mark explain questions that come up every year it’s worth learning the mark scheme from previous years because the things they want you to say are always the same- I found it helpful making flash cards (eg: there’s nearly always a question about evolution/speciation in the biology paper).
Louis2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by SusannaW)
Sometimes all you need is practise! I think lots of people find the wordier questions challenging so don’t worry.
Also, if there are any 4-6 mark explain questions that come up every year it’s worth learning the mark scheme from previous years because the things they want you to say are always the same- I found it helpful making flash cards (eg: there’s nearly always a question about evolution/speciation in the biology paper).
Thanks, are questions really that common and where am I able to find them?
SusannaW
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Louis2003)
Thanks, are questions really that common and where am I able to find them?
I’d go though a few exam papers and pick some long answer questions from them, you should be able to find the easily enough online. You can then take notes from the mark scheme. If you want you could probably ask your teacher if they know of any topics that always come up.
Some question topics are fairly common (like the example I used earlier) although it’s not guaranteed they’ll come up. Hopefully this method should also help you to understand how the examiner wants you to answer these questions so you can more easily answer them in the future.
Louis2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by SusannaW)
I’d go though a few exam papers and pick some long answer questions from them, you should be able to find the easily enough online. You can then take notes from the mark scheme. If you want you could probably ask your teacher if they know of any topics that always come up.
Some question topics are fairly common (like the example I used earlier) although it’s not guaranteed they’ll come up. Hopefully this method should also help you to understand how the examiner wants you to answer these questions so you can more easily answer them in the future.
OK, sounds like a plan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills ā€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (327)
60.33%
Yes- I don't like it (28)
5.17%