This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
B1553 – Capital Punishment Referendum Bill 2020, LiberofLondon MP

Capital Punishment Referendum Bill 2020

A Bill to hold a referendum on whether capital punishment should be legal in the United Kingdom.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Clause 1

(1) A referendum is to be held on the reintroduction of capital punishment in the United Kingdom.
(2) The question shall be ”Should the death penalty be reintroduced in the United Kingdom?”
(3) The possible responses shall be ”Yes”, ”Spoilt Ballot” and ”No”.
(4) Should a simple majority of voters vote ”Yes”, the consequences outlined in Clause 2 shall occur.

Clause 2

(1) This Clause may only become law if more than 50% of the electorate vote ”Yes” in the referendum outlined in Clause 1.
(2) The death penalty shall be reintroduced for any offense which, at present, may be punished with a life sentence.
(3) The Murder (Abolition of Death Penalty) Act 1965 is to be repealed upon the conditions in Clause 2, Subclause 1 being met.
(4) Section 36 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 is to be repealed upon the conditions in Clause 2, Subclause 1 being met.
(5) Section 21(5) of the Human Rights Act 1998 is to be repealed upon the conditions in Clause 2, Subclause 1 being met.
(6) The United Kingdom is to rescind its signature and ratification of Protocols 6 and 13 of the European Convention of Human Rights upon the conditions in Clause 2, Subclause 1 being met.

Clause 3: Commencement, Short Title, Extent and Conditions

(1) This bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent, with the exception of Clause 2, Subclauses 2-6, which shall come into force upon the conditions in Clause 2, Subclause 1 being met.
(2) This bill may be cited as the Capital Punishment Referendum Bill 2020.
(3) This bill extends to the United Kingdom.

Spoiler:
Show

Notes

Mr Speaker, I bring this Bill before you with the intentions of discovering the will of the people on such a contentious subject as the death penalty. A private poll recently carried out on TSR found a close split in favour of capital punishment, and there are many good arguments to be made in favour of and against the death penalty. Should the British people not get a say on how British criminals are punished?

For those curious about the legislation repealed by Clause 2, Subclauses 2-6, those Acts prevent the death penalty being imposed in Britain.

Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
LOL no
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
you were told about the formatting several days ago
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I see you haven't researched what offences carry a life sentence, haven't planned a series of appeals and worked out how to prevent innocent people being killed.

Further, I question the wording. It reads almost as if this would replace life sentences.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
This is a throwback! I tried a similar thing myself years ago in B1139.

I’ll vote aye as I quite like TSR Referendums
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Connor27)
This is a throwback! I tried a similar thing myself years ago in B1139.

I’ll vote aye as I quite like TSR Referendums
Remind us all what happened last time
BosslyGaming
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Absolutely not, Capital Punishment is an absolutely absurd proposition - especially with the many documented cases of wrongful convictions, leading to what can only be classified, in those situations especially, as murder in itself.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by BosslyGaming)
Absolutely not, Capital Punishment is an absolutely absurd proposition - especially with the many documented cases of wrongful convictions, leading to what can only be classified, in those situations especially, as murder in itself.
As opposed to recidivism killing which is unquestionably murder?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Although I used to be fully in favour of the death penalty, not anymore. The risk of killing innocent people is too great, when instead you can just give life sentences and have them be more punitive than simply allowing the offender an 'easy way out'

Even disregarding that, the referendum itself could be very contentious in that how is it decided what offences warrant the death penalty? Also, sorry Liber but this being based on a TSR poll is quite funny.
BosslyGaming
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
As opposed to recidivism killing which is unquestionably murder?
People who have been wrongly convicted (and, therefore, didn't offend in the first instance) are going to reoffend? Not sure about that one.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I will vote aye, not because I am in any way in favour of the death penalty, but because I do like having a TSR referendum.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Remind us all what happened last time
The member will need to be more precise in his wording; which “last time” are you referring to?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by JMR2020.)
I will vote aye, not because I am in any way in favour of the death penalty, but because I do like having a TSR referendum.
There are far better and more meaningful topics to have a referendum on. Going along the line of I disagree but it would be interesting, you could have abolition of the monarchy, separation of the union, Scottish independence, etc which would all be far more divisive and interesting
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
This went badly last time. Besides, given the state of politics at the moment we have far more interesting topics to choose from, as PetrosAC highlights.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by BosslyGaming)
People who have been wrongly convicted (and, therefore, didn't offend in the first instance) are going to reoffend? Not sure about that one.
No, the ones that are let out because we cannot possibly hang them
(Original post by Connor27)
The member will need to be more precise in his wording; which “last time” are you referring to?
The time where nothing really happened, and the time before that where there was no referendum because the CT couldn't be bothered at all
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I am not in favour of the death penalty, mainly because no justice system is perfect and I do not want innocent people to die. I think that anyone on a jury who does not believe in the death penalty will refuse to convict someone, and so murderers could be found not guilty for this reason.
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I disagree with both this bill and members' intentions to vote aye simply for the referendum, while I understand their points.

I'm not very optimistic regarding the death penalty, as it is not a good deterrent and there have been several high-profile cases in the past where justice was not carried out correctly. Not to mention that there is a risk innocent people would be killed, an example being the case of Derek Bentley in the 1960s who didn't kill, nor commit any crime other than trespass but was hanged because that was the law. Unfair much.
Plus, this would make juries less likely to want to vote for the accused's innocence in court if the death penalty was the only choice. Historical trends prove this.

Also, the whole "any crime which you could currently serve a life sentence for" part wouldn't work. There are at least hundreds of people per year who would receive these and the whole executing of that many people at once would be both impractical and leave a lot of room for errors - after all, if a later investigation turns out to exonerate someone, you can't quite do that if they were killed 5 years prior. We have life sentences for a reason.

The part about going out of certain UN human rights clauses is also concerning. This may be unlikely, but it could be a slippery slope and see us doing other things that circumvent the declaration, not to mention segway to a Human Rights Bill which would be open to manipulation and used in ways it is certainly not intended to.

To summarise, I will be voting Nay.
BosslyGaming
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No, the ones that are let out because we cannot possibly hang them
My initial point was about the possibility of wrongful convictions being an instant deal-breaker on capital punishment.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No, this isn't that interesting a referendum topic and it's ridiculous to replace all life sentences (which aren't even for life as it is) with death.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
There are far better and more meaningful topics to have a referendum on. Going along the line of I disagree but it would be interesting, you could have abolition of the monarchy, separation of the union, Scottish independence, etc which would all be far more divisive and interesting
I'd choose Scottish independence of those you have suggested.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
32.61%
No (71)
51.45%
Don't know (22)
15.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise