B1553 – Capital Punishment Referendum Bill 2020. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Although I used to be fully in favour of the death penalty, not anymore. The risk of killing innocent people is too great, when instead you can just give life sentences and have them be more punitive than simply allowing the offender an 'easy way out'

Even disregarding that, the referendum itself could be very contentious in that how is it decided what offences warrant the death penalty? Also, sorry Liber but this being based on a TSR poll is quite funny.
This.

I used to be in favour for the harshest crimes (with no justifiable motive) where guilt was basically certain however now that audio and video footage can be edited, witnesses are often mistaken and confessions can be forced, I’m not sure we can ever be 100% certain an innocent isn’t being executed. Then again with the improvement of forensics it could be argued that it’s easier to find the offender, but nevertheless it’s not worth the risk.

I just think prison sentences should be harsher for certain crimes. Too many people being released early, getting shorter sentences or ‘privileges’ within prison is disrespectful to victims who don’t get to enjoy their life because of them (and can be dangerous to the public).
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nay. Shouldn't give the state power to kill its own citizens. And there's no way of correcting a wrongful verdict. And I'd argue that a life sentence is more cruel than 'an easy way out' (if people want proper retribution)

Not to mention the fact that there are lots of different types of life sentences here- are they all going to be changed to 'death'?
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 1 week ago
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I'd choose Scottish independence of those you have suggested.
*Breaking up the UK.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aye, let’s have a referendum
JMR2020.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
There are far better and more meaningful topics to have a referendum on. Going along the line of I disagree but it would be interesting, you could have abolition of the monarchy, separation of the union, Scottish independence, etc which would all be far more divisive and interesting
Independence could be an interesting one (although you can't really have exclusively Scots voting on it)
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No as it's obvious it'll lose be better to have refendum on something like the abolishment of the house lord's to elected instead of appointed
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JMR2020.)
I will vote aye, not because I am in any way in favour of the death penalty, but because I do like having a TSR referendum.
Hear hear
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No - putting aside the moral issues around the death penalty, it's objectively worse in terms of dissuading people from committing crimes, means a jury is less likely to convict, and costs more than a life imprisonment. I don't see a benefit to conducting a referendum on this.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You know what, I'll vote aye just to have a referendum but obviously I don't agree with it. Basically the same reason as JMR2020.
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Glaz)
You know what, I'll vote aye just to have a referendum but obviously I don't agree with it. Basically the same reason as JMR2020.
I'm personally opposed to the death penalty on religious grounds, and also because it makes martyrs out of terrorists, but this would allow the people of TSRland to have a say.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hell yes, hang all paedophiles, murderers, and rapists. Disgusting creatures who are not worthy of life.

Shame we have too many wimpy liberals in this house.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Hell yes, hang all paedophiles, murderers, and rapists. Disgusting creatures who are not worthy of life.

Shame we have too many wimpy liberals in this house.
Thank you for demonstrating the depth and nuance of pro-capital punishment arguments
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 1 week ago
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
Thank you for demonstrating the depth and nuance of pro-capital punishment arguments
That's okay.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mr Speaker, i intend to Abstain on this bill.

Having prompted one of the few successful referenda in the Mhoc (in terms of it actually being engaging rather than the Scottish referendum which nobody noticed) to affirm the monarchy i am supportive of the idea of holding a referendum in the mhoc.

With that being said on the issue itself i only support the death penalty for killers who plead guilty to murder and those convicted of treason (which should be expanded to include those who join a terrorist organisation).
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I support referenda. I think you could have chosen a better topic.
Joleee
Report 1 week ago
Aye. i think it's a great topic and something everyone has an opinion on and will draw debate. thanks Liber :yy:
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joleee)
Aye. i think it's a great topic and something everyone has an opinion on and will draw debate. thanks Liber :yy:
How so? The argument dies out after like 10 minutes.

Pro DP - "We should kill bad people"
Anti DP - "But innocent people could be killed"
Pro DP - "But... bad people... kill"
Anti DP - "No."

Here's my reenactment of the entire Death Penality debate, you're welcome.
Joleee
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
How so? The argument dies out after like 10 minutes.

Pro DP - "We should kill bad people"
Anti DP - "But innocent people could be killed"
Pro DP - "But... bad people... kill"
Anti DP - "No."

Here's my reenactment of the entire Death Penality debate, you're welcome.
the point is that it draws a debate. everyone in TSR has an opinion on the death penalty, even those that do not normally debate in MHoC and those who do not normally engage in politics. people have strong opinions.

the question here is 'yes' or 'no' which is easy to answer for anyone. you want to ask me about Sottish independence, i would have no ****ing clue.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joleee)
the point is that it draws a debate. everyone in TSR has an opinion on the death penalty, even those that do not normally debate in MHoC and those who do not normally engage in politics. people have strong opinions.

the question here is 'yes' or 'no' which is easy to answer for anyone. you want to ask me about Sottish independence, i would have no ****ing clue.
But remember that referenda on TSR are not advisory. if people were to vote yes then the contents of this bill would be entrenched in MHoC law for 3 terms.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aph)
But remember that referenda on TSR are not advisory. if people were to vote yes then the contents of this bill would be entrenched in MHoC law for 3 terms.
Wait, that's a thing?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed