Wta
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’m currently in year 12 studying maths, physics, and biology. I do have an idea about what I may want to study at uni: either biophysics, biomechanics or biomedical engineering. I can’t seem to o find an essay title on any of these topics that I can study and write an extended essay on. (Any ideas?)
I could base my EPQ on something in physics (I don’t know what). But I’m not sure if I want to. I am very interested in psychology but I as I don’t do it at A level and don’t think I want a career in it I’m not sure if this is a smart move. It’s the only topic I think I can write an extended essay on and not get bored and take it many directions. Would it look bad if my EPQ is not related to my potential career?
UbrLrdMetagross
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do whatever you feel comfortable with, it doesn't matter if the question doesn't relate with your future career as most people value EPQs on independent research, planning and execution. I am currently doing mine on Formula 1 but that doesn't mean I want a career in it Do whatever you want as it is a big project to tackle and doing a boring question can sap your will to live. Enjoy your EPQ as not only is it a chance to do something you like to do, it also gives you a chance to regroup and refocus as it can also be used as a relaxation/work period. Have fun!!
MedicalSchoolApp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Honestly just choose something you enjoy. I applied for medicine and my original question was about technology in healthcare. Not only was the question cliché, it was SO boring. So I changed it to something in Neuroscience. I could actually stand to sit and read article after article without wanting a giant piano to fall on my head. If it’s something you find interesting, you’ll be able to dedicate more effort to it and get a better grade. Most unis are not going to care so much about your question, more about the grade and what research methods you learned. They might just ask why you did the question but they wouldn’t judge you based on it. More of just getting to know the things you find interesting really. Imagine if I had a personal statement all about medicine and acted like that’s the only thing I think about in my life. I wouldn’t come across as a very well rounded individual would I?
meganrmatthews19
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I had my final EPQ presentation today and mine was how global warming and climate change effects the arctic and the polar bear population, you said you already study physics but be very CAREFUL if you choose your epq in this because it must not collide with your alevel specification otherwise they will fail you as it’s something you are already learning.
Try looking at any current things that are happening around you or in the news and anything you are interested in the more interest you have in your topic the easier you will find it to write the essay.
👍🏻👍🏻
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (585)
34.19%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (705)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (343)
20.05%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed