The Woman Who Would Rather Obey Her Husband Than a Boss

Watch this thread
cookiemunch
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://youtu.be/5RWpZ_3kOjc

Thoughts?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Ah yes, Alena Pettitt.
England's most famous #TradWife, author and founder of The Darling Academy.
"Submitting to my husband like it's 1959", perfect homemaker and blogging about "traditional English manners, lifestyle and values".

Her life, her marriage, her choice.
I do find her a bit obsessive in her quest to be the perfect obedient 1950s homemaker and some of her tweets are rather odd.
The number of abusive comments the toxic element of twitter bombard her with on a daily basis is disgusting.

Being a tradwife is not something I would choose.
I'm no fan of the 1950s socio-political landscape or submitting to anyone.
Although I enjoy cooking and do believe that a mother needs to spend more time around her young children than their father does.

I know many traditionalist women like this- under 30 and over 50.
Something of a family tradition within my mother's family tree of ultra-traditionalist catholics.
My friend aspires to be a tradwife and have at least 8 children.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I haven't watched the whole thing, but I saw the first 3 minutes.

I think the lack of defining feminism in that interview was a missed opportunity. Holly in particular asked questions based on stereotypical feminist debates about chivalry and led her to one answer on it.

There is a financial risk to becoming dependent on another person's wage, but if she's accumulated enough money to sustain herself should her marriage end unhappily then that risk is averted.

I do find it interesting to consider the same relationship but with different genders. For instance, a man at home and a woman working. I suspect that is a less common occurrence but I'd also be interested to see what the public perception of that would be.
Allie4
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
shes not a full time housewife though if shes making a career out of this.
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I do find it interesting to consider the same relationship but with different genders. For instance, a man at home and a woman working. I suspect that is a less common occurrence but I'd also be interested to see what the public perception of that would be.
I know an asian couple with two young children where the wife works full time and the husband stays at home focusing on childcare & housework.
The arrangement seems to work very well for their family, although a lot of guys mock the 'stay at home husband'.

The wife is a UK citizen and works long hours as a company executive.
Her husband is a law abiding foreign national, not permitted to work or claim benefits in the uk and is a religious man who grew up in asia.
He does all the housework & shopping, brings the children to school and picks them up.
Sometimes helping out charities assisting with feeding homeless people and as a volunteer translator.
Em.-.
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If she and her partner are happy then I see no problem. If a woman wants to be a housewife and the man wants to be the sole earner then let them be happy. 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads