Do I need to be good at drawing to do art gcse? Watch

Silent-storm
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This might seem like a dumb question but I am interested in doing art. I'm not good at drawing but not terrible. My friend told me that I was creative and should consider art GCSE. If I can do more abstract stuff or photography I might be decent at it. I just want to know what's it like and how good at drawing I have to be.(I might also practice on my drawing skills more).
TazmeenX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
omg same man
TazmeenX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Silent-storm)
This might seem like a dumb question but I am interested in doing art. I'm not good at drawing but not terrible. My friend told me that I was creative and should consider art GCSE. If I can do more abstract stuff or photography I might be decent at it. I just want to know what's it like and how good at drawing I have to be.(I might also practice on my drawing skills more).
i talked with my teacher so now im dropping spanish for art. my art teacher says i have the creativity and experimenting skills to get a good grade in art. She also said she'd help me LOTS with drawing (probably exaggerating a bit) but still. im also more at ease bc no one has ever gotten below a 7 in the art department so i think im in safe hands
SusannaW
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Being able to draw is helpful and would definitely give you an advantage however it’s not essential. There are lots of other art mediums and if you really want to do art you should go for it. Keep in mind drawing is a skill and if you want to you can improve.
a_elise
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If I were you I'd have a talk with my teacher because there's lots of different mediums in art so poor drawing skills shouldn't limit you. When I took art GCSE last year there were quite a few people who got 8/9 grades and I was the only one to focus on realistic drawing and painting. One girl created a series of sculptures varying from paper to textile work, a couple of people made dresses/clothing relating to their topic and someone else created abstract pieces using acrylics/oil pastels etc. There aren't many limits to what you can do just make sure that whatever route you choose hits as much of the mark scheme as possible (speak to a teacher or look up the mark scheme online if you're unsure). If you're taking AQA (and possibly other exam boards), you should get the opportunity to try out a bunch of different skills/techniques so you'll have plenty of time at the start of the course to figure out what you want to do.
Good luck!
baekie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
this was me and honestly speaking i regretted this decision so much. art comes with a TON of coursework and it gets really draining especially if you're not good at drawing and constantly have to redraw things. but if you're willing to work hard then go for it.

in terms of drawing, it is quite important as your sketchbook needs Lots of drawings in it to show your journey - baring in mind it's multiple from different angles and with different materials.

i'd say speak to a teacher in the art department and find out if you're suited for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (263)
61.45%
Yes- I don't like it (20)
4.67%
No- I want it (114)
26.64%
No- I don't want it (31)