The Student Room Group

Can mathswatch and freesciencelessons get me a 6 in 2 weeks?

I have mocks and i need 6s in maths and science.

Scroll to see replies

i watched freesciencelessons a week before paper 1, and a day before the paper 2. I made flashcards based on what he said. I ended up with 2 9s and an 8. So, short answer-- Yes!
I haven't used maths-watch, but the key to maths is practice, so i'm sure you'll be ale to get the 6 if you really want to! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent
i watched freesciencelessons a week before paper 1, and a day before the paper 2. I made flashcards based on what he said. I ended up with 2 9s and an 8. So, short answer-- Yes!
I haven't used maths-watch, but the key to maths is practice, so i'm sure you'll be ale to get the 6 if you really want to! :smile:

Thanks for the reply. Mathswatch has a video on each topic then like 10 questions on the topic after you watch the video, so would that be enough practice?
Original post by lol8759
I have mocks and i need 6s in maths and science.

It depends what grade you’re on now and two weeks is not a lot of time! But yes I think they’d definitely help - practising lots of exam questions is the key to doing well in exams so I’d advise you do that too.
Reply 4
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent

did you do any practice questions for science at all? and how long did it take to make those flashcards because i feel like i'd have to watch it properly and then take notes and that will take so much longer than i want :/
Original post by lol8759
Thanks for the reply. Mathswatch has a video on each topic then like 10 questions on the topic after you watch the video, so would that be enough practice?

I should think so, that sounds like an amazing resource! I also found it really helpful to do past papers in timed conditions as well. With maths, a lot of the marks missed comes down to silly mistakes under exam pressure, rather than not knowing the content in itself. Practice is your best friend. Good luck!!
Reply 6
Original post by SusannaW
It depends what grade you’re on now and two weeks is not a lot of time! But yes I think they’d definitely help - practising lots of exam questions is the key to doing well in exams so I’d advise you do that too.

Last mocks i got 5s in biology, chemistry and maths (although i did foundation maths) and a 3 in physics but i didnt revise at all
Original post by lol8759
Last mocks i got 5s in biology, chemistry and maths (although i did foundation maths) and a 3 in physics but i didnt revise at all

In that case I’d advise you focus most on physics (although look at you other subjects too of course!) I found it helpful to go through the contents page of my revision guide to identify areas of weakness (you could also use the specification) and the make revision cards on those areas. I’d then get someone to test me on them (or test myself on them by covering up my notes and trying to remember what I wrote). I’d carry my revision cards with me so if I had any spare moments (eg: on the bus - sad I know) I could go over them.
If you didn’t revise at all last time and for those grades you should probably be able to get 6s - you’re not too far off!
Reply 8
Original post by SusannaW
In that case I’d advise you focus most on physics (although look at you other subjects too of course!) I found it helpful to go through the contents page of my revision guide to identify areas of weakness (you could also use the specification) and the make revision cards on those areas. I’d then get someone to test me on them (or test myself on them by covering up my notes and trying to remember what I wrote). I’d carry my revision cards with me so if I had any spare moments (eg: on the bus - sad I know) I could go over them.
If you didn’t revise at all last time and for those grades you should probably be able to get 6s - you’re not too far off!

yeah I'm already making flash cards and im focusing on physics and maths since i need to learn the higher stuff. my physics teacher said that most revision for physics is just learning the equations
Reply 9
Original post by hudz1e
did you do any practice questions for science at all? and how long did it take to make those flashcards because i feel like i'd have to watch it properly and then take notes and that will take so much longer than i want :/

I'm currently making flash cards on each freesciencelessons video and I've already gotten through like 3 playlists in the past 2 days so it doesnt take that long. the hardest and longest part will probably be memorizing the stuff on the flash cards after you make them
Original post by lol8759
yeah I'm already making flash cards and im focusing on physics and maths since i need to learn the higher stuff. my physics teacher said that most revision for physics is just learning the equations

Yes learning the equations will really help you. Keep practicing questions (particularly on areas you find challenging) and you will keep improving - this will also help you to learn the equations.
Bro freesciencelessons and mathswatch is essentially education on a plate. I’m working at 8/9s revising for things day before using Dr Donnelly (the GOAT) and having binged mathswatch over a week holiday a few months ago my maths has skyrocketed from a 7 to a 9. Trust me; you can do bits with these resources.

Don’t be too comfy or over-reliant though.
Reply 12
Original post by TakeALittleWalk
Bro freesciencelessons and mathswatch is essentially education on a plate. I’m working at 8/9s revising for things day before using Dr Donnelly (the GOAT) and having binged mathswatch over a week holiday a few months ago my maths has skyrocketed from a 7 to a 9. Trust me; you can do bits with these resources.

well done on your grades. what do you mean by being 'over-reliant' though? nice profile pic and name btw

Do you watch the mathswatch and take notes? My maths is at a 6 and my targets an 8 LOL
Original post by ovetsss
Do you watch the mathswatch and take notes? My maths is at a 6 and my targets an 8 LOL

In terms of maths revision I’ll tell you what I did exactly.

Came back from a practice test in September and got a grade 6. I was honestly so annoyed and went home that day and literally didn’t sleep until I’d watched al the videos. I did NOT make notes. Just watched the videos and chugged starbucks etc.

As soon as I finished binging over the week I did past papers. Went on mathsgenie and did all the paper from 2018/2017/2016 and specimens.

That’s pretty much it.

So no notes. Maths is a subject where taking notes isn’t just futile but a waste of time too.

Original post by lol8759
well done on your grades. what do you mean by being 'over-reliant' though? nice profile pic and name btw

Ty check out my gyg it’s even better

Don’t depend on freesciencelessons or mathswatch so much that you delay using them. Start now and start properly.

I’m giving this advice out right but truss I’m not as determined as my words present me to be 🤗😅
Reply 15

Came back from a practice test in September and got a grade 6. I was honestly so annoyed and went home that day and literally didn’t sleep until I’d watched al the videos. I did NOT make notes. Just watched the videos and chugged starbucks etc.

As soon as I finished binging over the week I did past papers. Went on mathsgenie and did all the paper from 2018/2017/2016 and specimens.

That’s pretty much it.

So no notes. Maths is a subject where taking notes isn’t just futile but a waste of time too.

Ty check out my gyg it’s even better

Don’t depend on freesciencelessons or mathswatch so much that you delay using them. Start now and start properly.

I’m giving this advice out right but truss I’m not as determined as my words present me to be 🤗😅

thanks for the reply. like you said taking notes on maths isnt worth it, I've been watching the videos then doing the questions on them afterwards. I've also got a holiday for a week starting today so i'll be doing a lot of revision.

That’s pretty much it.

I take notes so i can look back on how to do it if i need to, ALL THE VIDEOS?? i swear there is more than 200? Wtf lol
I used my cgp revision guide for science to make sure that I really knew and understood all the content, but ultimately, past papers and practise questions (I found Seneca learning pretty useful for science too) are the key

For maths, I just did past papers once I knew the content :smile:
Practising the same style questions that you’ll get in your exam/mocks is the best thing you can do for maths!

(And if you get questions wrong, for both maths and sciences, look back on that topic and revise it before you try other questions :biggrin:)
Original post by ovetsss
I take notes so i can look back on how to do it if i need to, ALL THE VIDEOS?? i swear there is more than 200? Wtf lol

I skipped the grade 1-5/6 stuff tbh

Once you start doing a couple past papers you won’t need notes anymore
I skipped the grade 1-5/6 stuff tbh

Once you start doing a couple past papers you won’t need notes anymore

alright thanks so much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest