Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For me the worst novel I have read so far is called a long long way by Sebastian Barry which I am studying for a level English lit. Not a massive fan of the picture of Dorian Gray either I find the characters annoying especially Lord Henry.
SusannaW
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
For me the worst novel I have read so far is called a long long way by Sebastian Barry which I am studying for a level English lit. Not a massive fan of the picture of Dorian Gray either I find the characters annoying especially Lord Henry.
For me it was the book thief. It’s won a few awards and so I expected it to be good but I couldn’t even finish it!
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SusannaW)
For me it was the book thief. It’s won a few awards and so I expected it to be good but I couldn’t even finish it!
Aw that makes me sad, it's genuinely one of my favourite books. Fantastically written.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tess of the D'ubervilles
Had to read it for GCSE and it's just painful, Hardy takes an entire page just to describe a bed sheet at one point
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
*DISCLAIMER* In no way is this book terrible in the sense of being badly written, I just struggled to comprehend what was going on due to the old fashion English used. *DISCLAIMER*

I found Great Expectations quite difficult to comprehend what was going on from chapter to chapter. I'd read a chapter then have to read a summary on SparkNotes to truly understand what had happened. Dicken's language in the books, alongside using nouns which aren't used nowadays really confused me :P
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLeafez)
*DISCLAIMER* In no way is this book terrible in the sense of being badly written, I just struggled to comprehend what was going on due to the old fashion English used. *DISCLAIMER*

I found Great Expectations quite difficult to comprehend what was going on from chapter to chapter. I'd read a chapter then have to read a summary on SparkNotes to truly understand what had happened. Dicken's language in the books, alongside using nouns which aren't used nowadays really confused me :P
I did it for GCSE the plot is surprisingly good though. However I agree that Dickens' style of writing is not the easiest to comprehend.
naeology
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wuthering Heights. The book is unnecessarily long and confusing. Catherine Earnshaw, Catherine Linton, Linton Earnshaw... my brain can’t keep up and the fact that the characters all seem to have the same names doesn’t help
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by naeology)
Wuthering Heights. The book is unnecessarily long and confusing. Catherine Earnshaw, Catherine Linton, Linton Earnshaw... my brain can’t keep up and the fact that the characters all seem to have the same names doesn’t help
That sounds very confusing it is better for characters to have very distinct names.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is a tough question.

Some books you have to put quite a bit into to get anything out of it.
Whereas others are just a fun read but not very taxing.

I didn't like the dark tower. But may try it again.
Also the Hobbit. The amount of singing is a bit grating but I am a big fan of the universe so I could probably try harder to get into it.

Of mice and men. Good book but I think you lose a lot when you over analyse it like they make you do at school. Same could be said of animal farm.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also the satanic verse I couldn't get into that tomb at all.
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did it for GCSE the plot is surprisingly good though. However I agree that Dickens' style of writing is not the easiest to comprehend.
I was trying to be "cultured" so read it of my own accord...

I've been slowly reading all the literature classics to get a more well-rounded lit knowledge. I quite liked The Catcher in the Rye. All those years of hearing a little bit about the book in passing finally made sense when the book explains why its called The Catcher in the Rye.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
I was trying to be "cultured" so read it of my own accord...

I've been slowly reading all the literature classics to get a more well-rounded lit knowledge. I quite liked The Catcher in the Rye. All those years of hearing a little bit about the book in passing finally made sense when the book explains why its called The Catcher in the Rye.
What other classics do you like?
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What other classics do you like?
The Chronicles of Narnia - especially The Last Battle! Such a bad ass final stand at the end 😂

The Lord of the Flies

To Kill A Mockingbird

Basically 20th century classics which my school never did in English.
TakeALittleWalk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Jekyll and Hyde. Tell me one good thing about that book. It MAKES ME WANT TO DIE.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by adam271)
Also the satanic verse I couldn't get into that tomb at all.
I never got that far with the last Salman Rushdie novel I read (Shame?) which I gave up on. Midnight's Children was a lovely book, but anything else by Mr Rushdie I am giving a miss on.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
The Chronicles of Narnia - especially The Last Battle! Such a bad ass final stand at the end 😂

The Lord of the Flies

To Kill A Mockingbird

Basically 20th century classics which my school never did in English.
Thanks for sharing my favourite classics are: the great Gatsby and Anna Karenina
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (256)
61.69%
Yes- I don't like it (20)
4.82%
No- I want it (110)
26.51%
No- I don't want it (29)