The Student Room Group

UCAS Help Law

Hi guys,

So I have received offers from all my universities but the main candidates are Nottingham and Kent. Unfortunately for Nottingham, I didn't get in for law but they gave me an alternate course - Criminology for BBB. I don't want to study criminology so my plan would be try to find better universities that do law or do Politics/International relations through UCAS Adjustment. But how useful is UCAS Adjustment, is the options given to you better than in clearing? Could I still call Nottingham on results and ask if they have any space for law (considering I get e.g AAA)? Or should I stick with Kent, with the offer for BBB for Law and then still have the possibility of getting a better university through UCAS Adjustment.

I dont know this is so confusing and it feels like a risk, what do you guys think?
Original post by zipporahtho
Hi guys,

So I have received offers from all my universities but the main candidates are Nottingham and Kent. Unfortunately for Nottingham, I didn't get in for law but they gave me an alternate course - Criminology for BBB. I don't want to study criminology so my plan would be try to find better universities that do law or do Politics/International relations through UCAS Adjustment. But how useful is UCAS Adjustment, is the options given to you better than in clearing? Could I still call Nottingham on results and ask if they have any space for law (considering I get e.g AAA)? Or should I stick with Kent, with the offer for BBB for Law and then still have the possibility of getting a better university through UCAS Adjustment.

I dont know this is so confusing and it feels like a risk, what do you guys think?

Adjustment is a very short window. If your grades are superior you can ask.
Have you visited Kent and checked the course?

I would adopt a different approach which would be if I had set my heart on one uni, and I felt the grades were within my reach then I would just resit and got to Nottingham.
Hi guys,

If Kent is the best offer you have for Law then I would accept it, assuming you would be happy to go there if you got BBB or similar. If you do end up getting better A levels, you will have the option of "trading up" in Adjustment to unis that are asking for higher than BBB.

If you get AAA you might have the option of getting into Notts if they are in Adjustment or Clearing again, but they will still want their Law applicants to have taken the LNAT and received a good score. Or if you get AAB you could apply for Politics at Notts in Adjustment/Clearing, which won't have the LNAT requirement. You could even contact Notts now and ask if they will change the Criminology offer to Politics (if you would prefer that option to Law at Kent) - they may not be able to but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Alternatively, if you get AAA or similar you might decide to take a Year Out and reapply next year to Nottingham and other unis, which would give you a second shot at taking the LNAT.
Reply 3
Hi guys,

I’m in the same position as u lol everyone says it’s quite risky but the thing is there’s always a chance so that’s why I’m torn between going to one of my other options or taking the alternate offer and seeing what happens. What do u think ur most likely to do ?
Reply 4
Original post by hmevey
I’m in the same position as u lol everyone says it’s quite risky but the thing is there’s always a chance so that’s why I’m torn between going to one of my other options or taking the alternate offer and seeing what happens. What do u think ur most likely to do ?

I think I’m going to accept the Kent offer for BBB for Law - I’m very confident that I will get higher than that (I got AAB in AS) so I will find any better options in UCAS adjustment - if I don’t then I’ll just stick for Law at Kent. I wouldn’t hurt even to call Nottingham to see if they have any remaining offers for Law. I went to Kent the other day and I enjoyed it but it’s just I would rather go to Nottingham but it’s just one of those things i guess... What about you?
Reply 5
I think I’m going to accept the Kent offer for BBB for Law - I’m very confident that I will get higher than that (I got AAB in AS) so I will find any better options in UCAS adjustment - if I don’t then I’ll just stick for Law at Kent. I wouldn’t hurt even to call Nottingham to see if they have any remaining offers for Law. I went to Kent the other day and I enjoyed it but it’s just I would rather go to Nottingham but it’s just one of those things i guess... What about you?

I’ve got an offer from Bristol which is higher than the offer for Nottingham law and I’m still unsure if I should take it bc I’m worried I won’t enjoy it there. But I think I still will and see how everything goes with adjustment/grades on results day. Ps i know a few people who go to Kent and really love it there so I’m sure you will too!

Hey there!
Congrats on your offer to study at Kent :smile: I know your heart isn't set on going to Kent, but if you did have any questions about life at Kent or the course, please feel free to ask as I'm currently in my final year at Kent (personally I've loved my time here!).
Best of luck with your A-levels :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest