1 month intensive driving course? Watch

seesey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hiya! I’ve recently got a job out of my city and it is becoming necessary for me to be able to get on the road, but I am yet to start lessons. I know the basics because one of my friends parents is an instructor and took me out for a few hours for free; but I’d say I’m near enough a beginner. Since I’m desperate to pass ASAP, what are everyone’s opinions on a month long course to get passed? I’d also get some extra practice with my parents on the side just to build up confidence. It’s a little more expensive this way but I’m honestly just looking to get it over and done with so that’s not too much of a worry to me. Good or bad idea?
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There's some very good advice on intensive courses in this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6351938
catrinana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by seesey)
Hiya! I’ve recently got a job out of my city and it is becoming necessary for me to be able to get on the road, but I am yet to start lessons. I know the basics because one of my friends parents is an instructor and took me out for a few hours for free; but I’d say I’m near enough a beginner. Since I’m desperate to pass ASAP, what are everyone’s opinions on a month long course to get passed? I’d also get some extra practice with my parents on the side just to build up confidence. It’s a little more expensive this way but I’m honestly just looking to get it over and done with so that’s not too much of a worry to me. Good or bad idea?
Apologies for long reply, I tend to ramble a bit...

It depends on your personal learning style more than anything; I'm 22 and needed to learn to drive quite urgently after uni for work purposes, so I took an intensive course that was 35hrs, spread over just under 2 weeks (originally wanted to do a month, had to cut it shorter due to work); although the course definitely gave me an understanding of the basics and I felt like I could drive fairly comfortably by the end of it, I didn't pass my test until a couple months later on my 3rd try (3 minors) after a lot of independent practice with family in my own car, mainly due to really awful test nerves but also partly due to just not having the road experience and level of confidence needed before that. But I think the intensive (combined with personal practice afterwards) was still definitely the right choice for me for a few reasons:
-I'm a freelancer and had no option but to use the slots of time available between jobs to learn (I don't have the time or stability to stay in one place and do weekly lessons for the best part of a year, learners who are 17 and still in education can)
-I knew I would have trouble retaining that sort of info over time without reinforcing it constantly, just because that's the way I learn; I'd end up spending half of each lesson trying to remember what I learned the week before (information wise, but also in terms of muscle memory). Whereas on the intensive I was spending anywhere between 3-5hrs per day just driving, and it was my main focus for the whole course duration. My life was pretty much eat, sleep, drive for two weeks straight, it felt like I saw my instructor more often than my own family! By the time I finished, the physical act of driving was pretty much locked into my muscle memory.
-Doing weekly lessons, I would have had to wait months to reach the amount of hours where family members felt comfortable doing private practice with me, whereas after the 35hr course they knew I understood how to do everything practical... I just needed more work on things like confidence, how to approach certain difficult scenarios, and road etiquette. So even though I didn't pass straight after the course, I was able to practice with them doing things like errands, weekend trips, and drop-offs fairly often, just to build upon what I'd already learned.

My advice would be go for the intensive if you think it would suit your learning style and you have the time to commit to it, but be prepared for the possibility that you might not pass first time; and if you don't, will you be able to keep practicing in private after the course is over until you do pass? Hope this helped!
iMZee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1 month isn't really intensive, you'll be fine.
Back when i was in sixth from and people were learning to drive, about 8 of my friends passed in under a month of lessons, with only 1 having a knock within a year of getting her own car.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.52%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.21%
No- I want it (235)
28.48%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.79%

Watched Threads