zipporahtho
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Be honest, is student finance enough money to cover all NECESSITIES (so excluding parties etc) e.g accomodation and food ?
BrDy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It was for me, in combination with bursaries from the uni (not scholarships, purely means tested) so yeah it CAN be. It depends on how much you'll get though
zipporahtho
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by BrDy)
It was for me, in combination with bursaries from the uni (not scholarships, purely means tested) so yeah it CAN be. It depends on how much you'll get though
Thank you! Did paying for your accomodation take up most of your student finance?
Mad_Dog_Graveson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zipporahtho)
Be honest, is student finance enough money to cover all NECESSITIES (so excluding parties etc) e.g accomodation and food ?
No, it covers about 90% of rent, but nowt else
BrDy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah it really did BUT I'm in catered accommodation so it also covered my food (except for like maybe some snack buying)
I should say when budgeting i basically only budgeted for when at uni, during the holidays I go back to my mum's and she pays for my food when im there and I don't pay rent when at home, or shampoo/toiletries when im at home, just in case you need to budget in home living
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zipporahtho)
Hello

It really depends on the person's funding allocation, the city and spending habits.

If you are from a high income household and are not receiving help from your family in a fairly expensive city then it might not be and you may need a job to help with paying for your university experience.

In addition to this some cities are going to be cheaper generally and whatever your local shop is can really determine how much extra spending you have alongside your own shopping habits.

I've put together a post outlining how to budget. If you have a look at this noting your awarded amounts for student finance and then factor in the city costs for travel or accommodation then you should be able to get an idea of how far it would stretch and if you would need a job or not.

I hope this helps.

Patrick :lep:
Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads