Is an MSc Psychology conversion worth doing at all? Watch

twd49
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm thinking about doing an MSc Psychology conversion course.

Brief background: I have a BSc and MSc in Environmental Engineering. Graduated in 2017, stuck in a dead-end retail job because the job market in this industry is impenetrable where I live. I developed a real passion for psychology in 2016 and have continued studying it on my own over the past 4 years.

My long term goals are either to become a clinical psychologist (which involves doing a DClinPsy - extremely competitive courses, ~5% acceptance rate) or have a research career in academia.

Is doing an MSc Psychology conversion worth it in light of these aims, or should I just not bother? I know that the clinical psychology route is a long and winding road and, realistically, will take 7-10 years to get into. I'm willing to put that time in, if I'm able to take advantage of opportunities.

I'd like to hear from people who have done MSc conversion courses. Does it actually open doors for you and lead to new things, or is it just a money spinner for universities?
ajaogo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Also interested in an answer to this but haven't seen anyone on this board or others talking too much about post conversion opportunities ... : /
twd49
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by ajaogo)
Also interested in an answer to this but haven't seen anyone on this board or others talking too much about post conversion opportunities ... : /
Hopefully they're all too busy doing a DClinPsy to browse these forums.

Where are you thinking of applying? What are your psychological interests? What do you hope to do with your conversion MSc?
Last edited by twd49; 1 day ago
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 17 hours ago
If you want to become a registered, chartered psychologist but don't have the necessary psychology background then a conversion course is essential, you won't get onto a psychology MSc or doctoral course without one (or an accredited undergrad)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.2%
No (184)
32.8%

Watched Threads