JE_student!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all, I’m currently studying higher English this year and so far it’s my RUAE that’s bringing me down. It’s more the understanding part of the whole section I struggle with and being able to answer very efficiently. If anyone has any advice, tips or tricks to tackle this, it would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
HuBeeny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JE_student!)
Hi all, I’m currently studying higher English this year and so far it’s my RUAE that’s bringing me down. It’s more the understanding part of the whole section I struggle with and being able to answer very efficiently. If anyone has any advice, tips or tricks to tackle this, it would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
For understanding type questions, be it "using your own words state...." or "explain...", I would suggest using bullet points. Not only does this clearly layout your answers, but it lets you know how many points you have made. It also helps to make sure you're not repeating yourself.

As for answering them, try to write exactly what it says in the passage but with different words (changing most words - exceptions being nouns), and always try to give one/two more answers than you're asked for. So if a q is worth 4, write 5/6 points.

In terms of Analysis type questions, if a question is worth 4 marks you need to make 4 points as you rarely get 2 marks for one point.

Other tips include not ignoring sentence structure: for 'referring to Language' use sentence structure as it's easy to pick out if you know what you're looking for.

Also, try to be specific when answering as apparently that's what the SQA look for when marking.

I'm doing H English this year too and these have helped me this year.
JE_student!
Rep:
?
Thanks for sharing that with me.

I really like your bullet point and sentence structure idea. Usually when we were met with a language type questions, we are told just to go with the word choice strategy as it is the easier way. I am able to work out sentence structure so i will definitely now use it more.

Also if you happen to know strategies of coming across words that your completely lost with and don’t know any meaning of the word, that would also be gratefully appreciated as this can sometimes catch me off guard.

Thanks for your help once again
JE_student!
Rep:
?
(Original post by HuBeeny)
For understanding type questions, be it "using your own words state...." or "explain...", I would suggest using bullet points. Not only does this clearly layout your answers, but it lets you know how many points you have made. It also helps to make sure you're not repeating yourself.

As for answering them, try to write exactly what it says in the passage but with different words (changing most words - exceptions being nouns), and always try to give one/two more answers than you're asked for. So if a q is worth 4, write 5/6 points.

In terms of Analysis type questions, if a question is worth 4 marks you need to make 4 points as you rarely get 2 marks for one point.

Other tips include not ignoring sentence structure: for 'referring to Language' use sentence structure as it's easy to pick out if you know what you're looking for.

Also, try to be specific when answering as apparently that's what the SQA look for when marking.

I'm doing H English this year too and these have helped me this year.
Thanks for sharing that with me.

I really like your bullet point and sentence structure idea. Usually when we were met with a language type questions, we are told just to go with the word choice strategy as it is the easier way. I am able to work out sentence structure so i will definitely now use it more.

Also if you happen to know strategies of coming across words that your completely lost with and don’t know any meaning of the word, that would also be gratefully appreciated as this can sometimes catch me off guard.

Thanks for your help once again
HuBeeny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You can often work it out from the context. Even if you get an idea across and not the meaning then you can get the mark.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (407)
68.06%
No (191)
31.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed