I'm thinking about dropping out of college? Watch

abha2017
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I've always struggled with the academic side of education, mostly due to anxiety and depression, and I'm finding that while I enjoyed college at first, and enjoy seeing my friends each day, I have less and less care about the actual courses I'm doing. I don't know if this is just my mental health talking, but I just can't see myself getting a job in any of the three fields where I live now, as I don't want to live away from home. My college are offering a few land-based courses in September, and I'm considering going for one, but the question is do I keep going with college this year or do I drop out, get a job and then go back, or just keep on doing what I'm doing next year as well?
gonzalez607
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by abha2017)
I've always struggled with the academic side of education, mostly due to anxiety and depression, and I'm finding that while I enjoyed college at first, and enjoy seeing my friends each day, I have less and less care about the actual courses I'm doing. I don't know if this is just my mental health talking, but I just can't see myself getting a job in any of the three fields where I live now, as I don't want to live away from home. My college are offering a few land-based courses in September, and I'm considering going for one, but the question is do I keep going with college this year or do I drop out, get a job and then go back, or just keep on doing what I'm doing next year as well?
I think that college isn't for everyone. If you are finding it hard and notice it's taking a toll on your mental health then possibly college isn't for you.
What you could do is just forget about college all together and go for an apprenticeship, that way you're getting qualifications and money at the same time.
You would need to consider what line of work your leaning towards before applying for an apprenticeship though as not every job do apprenticeships.
Or you could do the plan of taking a year off to work, but when you return back to college you're probably just going to feel the same way as you do now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (229)
67.75%
No (109)
32.25%

Watched Threads