75 years ago today.... Watch

the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i certainly do not have the exact details of why Dresden was designated as a target; however i am happy that Bomber Command did not pick targets at random.

this article gives a measured assessment of the operation and its subsequent propaganda exploitation:

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/1004dresden/
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
It's easy to pick at Dresden in isolation and say how awful it was, but in doing so you ignore the feelings and the background of what had been happening.

We'd been at war for 6 years. We'd seen millions of people die. We had our own cities flattened and annihilated. We'd seen the threat of invasion.

We were vengeful, angry. We wanted the war to end.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Unnecessary and callous, my grandfather never forgave himself for his involvment in this.
KapnerVids
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Firebombings of Japan were worse and go largely ignore because people focus on the atomic bombings, not firebombings.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by KapnerVids)
Firebombings of Japan were worse and go largely ignore because people focus on the atomic bombings, not firebombings.
And indeed, we gloss over the fact that the east end of London and Coventry were both flattened by the Germans.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Drewski)
And indeed, we gloss over the fact that the east end of London and Coventry were both flattened by the Germans.
Nobody glosses over that Coventry, City of Culture was bombed to rubble. Unfortunately they rebuilt it and made it worse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (229)
67.75%
No (109)
32.25%

Watched Threads