DarkShadow101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It is believed by everyone that energy cannot be created/destroyed - as stated as the conservation of energy. However, where did the energy come from at the beginning? Some say its from the big bang but then doesn't that mean energy can be created?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps once we know exactly what happened at the initial singularity this question will have an answer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Energy conservation is a key part of many laws of physics, but they don't do a great job of describing the exact beginning of the Big Bang.
username3118454
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought the big bang was just the expansion of the universe - maybe the energy/matter was always there
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maybe there is like, negative energy in the Ooniverse.

:hmmmm2:
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so ordinary energy can be converted into ordinary matter, and negative energy into dark matter

:hat2:
Marsharko
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're not going to find the answer on TSR.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually I amend my previous answer. You can violate conservation of energy... if you don't do it for too long. That's thanks to the uncertainty principle. You do get quantum fluctuations where the energy at a point in space does suddenly and randomly change, creating virtual particles that disappear straight away again.

For a reasonable chance of these quantum fluctuations to cause new inflation you'd have to wait 10^{10^{10^{56}}} seconds, years, millennia (whatever, doesn't matter at this scale)
JoshDarnIt_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe I know the answer to this.

If you divide the quantum flux capacitor with the star tetrahedron, you get a result of 0.000000000001 which indicates that the dinosaurs were far smarter than humans and were capable of inter molecular disposition. This goes on to show that we can't figure out the mass of such an object. In conclusion, we may be able to take those laws back by force but that can only result in the happy tears of fallen presidents. R.I.P Obama <3
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No one knows, but questions like this are good to ask because it stimulates interesting discussion of physics, so well done for thinking about these things!
DarkShadow101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 0le)
No one knows, but questions like this are good to ask because it stimulates interesting discussion of physics, so well done for thinking about these
Aha, i always ask these odd questions to my physics teacher and he's always so confused
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DarkShadow101)
Aha, i always ask these odd questions to my physics teacher and he's always so confused
Many people are confused by these topics, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't confused to be honest!

You may also find watching this programme of interest:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ing-things-out
KasaiRyujin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The answer is god created energy . God unlike humans doesn’t need to come from something and has always existed
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Actually I amend my previous answer. You can violate conservation of energy... if you don't do it for too long. That's thanks to the uncertainty principle. You do get quantum fluctuations where the energy at a point in space does suddenly and randomly change, creating virtual particles that disappear straight away again.

For a reasonable chance of these quantum fluctuations to cause new inflation you'd have to wait 10^{10^{10^{56}}} seconds, years, millennia (whatever, doesn't matter at this scale)

It seems that you have read some pop-science articles or books that lure you into thinking that the law of conservation of energy can be violated based on the uncertainty principle. Sometimes, I also find such description slipped into some introductory university physics texts and it is really very unfortunate. I disagree and would say it is not entirely correct. As far as I know, this type of description is trying to describe what the mathematical formalism or calculation using some “laymen” language and it is certainly NOT what is happening in the experiment.

You may want to check with some experts in quantum field theory or particle physicists.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
15.22%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
10.87%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
8.7%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (20)
43.48%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
17.39%

Watched Threads