Will I have enough to live off at uni? Watch

Wheezy___
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My parents aren't helping me out money wise when I go to uni. They said they'll help me out with moving in and food every once in a while but that's it. I'm grateful for this, of course, but since we've got quite a high household income I'll only be getting around £6,500 a year in my maintenance loan. I'll also have at least £4,500 saved by the time I start so I can use some of that money when I'm there. Will this be enough money to live off comfortably if I get a part time job too?
kiyuni
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
^ id like to know the answer too.

going with only student bursary and student loan with no saved up money (i’ll work during summer!) or help. planning to get a part time job.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wheezy___)
My parents aren't helping me out money wise when I go to uni. They said they'll help me out with moving in and food every once in a while but that's it. I'm grateful for this, of course, but since we've got quite a high household income I'll only be getting around £6,500 a year in my maintenance loan. I'll also have at least £4,500 saved by the time I start so I can use some of that money when I'm there. Will this be enough money to live off comfortably if I get a part time job too?
Hello

It's good that you know where you stand right now so that you can plan for your first year at university.

A few factors are going to really affect how far your money can stretch:

1. Cost of accommodation
2. Where you are studying (how expensive the city is)
3. How you personally spend your money

I have put together a post about how to budget when at university which you can look at if you need a reference to work off.

In my own personal opinion I would say that £11,000 all in all is going to be pretty comfortable if you are in a student friendly city. Let's say the accommodation is £5,000. You will still have £6,000 over 36 weeks which is £138.89 a week for necessities, travel, personal shopping and social activities.

Have a look at the post i made and change the figures to match yours adding in any bills you might have and look up local shops or places you would go to in order to see what a week might look like.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Patrick :lep:
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kiyuni)
^ id like to know the answer too.

going with only student bursary and student loan with no saved up money (i’ll work during summer!) or help. planning to get a part time job.
Hello

Be sure to look at the response I gave to OP and the post I made, it's not perfect but it's a good way to plan and lay out your funds in a way that makes it more manageable.

I went to university with my grant, loan and around £600 additionally saved and I felt comfortable enough with having to pay for flights home, pay for birthdays and Christmas presents for family.

Also, before you ask I didn't live off of pot noodles.

I actually cooked and ate fairly well despite some scaremongering stories!

Patrick :lep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills โ€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (336)
60.65%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.23%