The Student Room Group

I feel like I am too dumb for A levels now

At least in sociology, there’s no way to escape the subject because the external exam result goes on ucas and it won’t look good if I drop it. It’s now making me depressed and dragging me down. Do I leave altogether? This subject wEnt crap at gcse to begin with, then better then crap again but I made progress with what I was working at for most of the year, then at A level it goes well then so wrong 6 months into the year and anything I did have a grasp of I don’t have a grasp of anymore. It’s dragging me down in other subjects and I feel like this subject is too much for me. There’s no way to escape it unless I leave, so do you recommend that I see what my AS result is, pass and carry on and fail then leave or do you suggest I just leave and do a btec or apprenticeship and forget about university?
Original post by Anonymous1_23
At least in sociology, there’s no way to escape the subject because the external exam result goes on ucas and it won’t look good if I drop it. It’s now making me depressed and dragging me down. Do I leave altogether? This subject wEnt crap at gcse to begin with, then better then crap again but I made progress with what I was working at for most of the year, then at A level it goes well then so wrong 6 months into the year and anything I did have a grasp of I don’t have a grasp of anymore. It’s dragging me down in other subjects and I feel like this subject is too much for me. There’s no way to escape it unless I leave, so do you recommend that I see what my AS result is, pass and carry on and fail then leave or do you suggest I just leave and do a btec or apprenticeship and forget about university?

Your self esteem sounds very low and you are talking yourself into failure.
Are you international or studying in the UK?
If you are year 12 you have plenty of time to turn it round but you need to use the summer to get you back on track.
If push comes to shove they might let you drop it, but you are unlikely to be allowed to do another subject. You could in theory do an online A level.
For uni you need to come out the other end with 3 A levels.

Let your parents and teachers know, see if you can improve studies, do the exam and see. My impression is you talk yourself down so much you are almost making it happen. Some schools might offer an alternative, but its late in the day. the other option is to start a fresh A level in sept 2020 and if they wont let you fast track just continue into an extra year. See what the school says plsu try your best for the subject. leave the negativity till after the exams because for now it is costing you marks and not gaining any.

Quick Reply

Latest