Annie_redux
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm from Belgium and I got an offer from Qmul. I don't know how the UK educational system works. I saw on the qmul website (and other uni websites) that the housing fee can be around 130-260 pounds. And that's per week??? So do you really have to have money ready every week to pay or else risk getting kicked out? Or will that fee just be added to your tuition fee and then when you get a job after graduation you have pay?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Annie_redux)
I'm from Belgium and I got an offer from Qmul. I don't know how the UK educational system works. I saw on the qmul website (and other uni websites) that the housing fee can be around 130-260 pounds. And that's per week??? So do you really have to have money ready every week to pay or else risk getting kicked out? Or will that fee just be added to your tuition fee and then when you get a job after graduation you have pay?
Unfortunately if you are expecting financial assistance, then EU students for the most part only get help with tuition fees. They only get help with maintenance if they have been living in the UK for 5 years or get a job as part of the working migrant scheme.
https://www.ucas.com/finance/student...igrant-workers

If your accommodation is owned by the Uni they are likely to want payment for accommodation on a per term basis. If it is private then they may want the whole years money paid up front. That is money you will have to find and unless you get student loans as above its out of your own pocket. Coupled with choosing London which is about the most expensive place you could live then it might not be feasible to study in the UK.
Annie_redux
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Unfortunately if you are expecting financial assistance, then EU students for the most part only get help with tuition fees. They only get help with maintenance if they have been living in the UK for 5 years or get a job as part of the working migrant scheme.
https://www.ucas.com/finance/student...igrant-workers

If your accommodation is owned by the Uni they are likely to want payment for accommodation on a per term basis. If it is private then they may want the whole years money paid up front. That is money you will have to find and unless you get student loans as above its out of your own pocket. Coupled with choosing London which is about the most expensive place you could live then it might not be feasible to study in the UK.
Thanks for the reply! I checked the link and I don't see where it says I have to have lived in the UK for 5 years. I only see that I have to be living in the UK for the first academic year, which I'm going to be doing.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for the reply! I checked the link and I don't see where it says I have to have lived in the UK for 5 years. I only see that I have to be living in the UK for the first academic year, which I'm going to be doing.
Its 3 years in EEA for tuition fees
Its 3 years and be in uk on 1 September for working migrants, but you only get maint if you keep up with your appropriate job.
Its 5 years in UK for maintenance + tuition.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5213708
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does the Belgian government offer any funding for you to study in the UK? London is (by UK standards) a very expensive place to live. There are other locations which are much, much cheaper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?