hello i am hamad hussain from pakistan
ok...
dextrous63
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
then why not write down all of your mental calculations (unless the question is only worth a mark)
Where do you stop? Should you have to explain eg why 3x8=24, or is this considered acceptable to omit (given the context of the question)?

There was a period in which certain questions had a star written next to them to indicate that communication was an integral part of the matter. Perhaps this needs to be reinstated to remove the ambiguity of the "may" in the rubric.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dextrous63)
Where do you stop? Should you have to explain eg why 3x8=24, or is this considered acceptable to omit (given the context of the question)?

There was a period in which certain questions had a star written next to them to indicate that communication was an integral part of the matter. Perhaps this needs to be reinstated to remove the ambiguity of the "may" in the rubric.
you do not need to give reasoning only a method
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hamad hussain)
hello i am hamad hussain from pakistan
Congratulations. Have a house point.
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
you do not need to give reasoning only a method
Really? One would hope that your method would indicate your reasoning.

So, in your view, being able to recite the quadratic formula and shove some numbers in it correctly should be awarded full marks only if you write it down, even though it's entirely possible (and in fact likely) that the candidate has no idea whatsoever why nor how it works? Whereas someone who can mentally complete the square and derive the solutions through a clearly greater understanding of the processes should not be awarded full marks. How is that "fair"?

Edit - we all know how to find the nth term of a quadratic sequence. We can train people to follow the routine. And yet, I doubt that many will understand why it works. Why do we halve the second difference?
Last edited by dextrous63; 1 week ago
liamlarner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I have solved this simultaneous equation by using Matrices as shown below and gives the correct solutions would an IGCSE Marker give me the marks for using this method as it is a Further Maths A Level thing would it be applied as this is the easiest method for me to use and shows me as a bright student who wants to get a 9 Name:  IMG_5739.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  73.0 KB

(Original post by David Getling)
Unless you are told to use a specific method you can use any valid method.

I smile when I contemplate what most A-level markers would do if they came across a really bright student who had used Lagrangian or Hamiltonian mechanics to solve a problem.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
I have solved this simultaneous equation by using Matrices as shown below and gives the correct solutions would an IGCSE Marker give me the marks for using this method as it is a Further Maths A Level thing would it be applied as this is the easiest method for me to use and shows me as a bright student who wants to get a 9 Name:  IMG_5739.JPG
Yes this should* get you all the marks. It's not going to impress an examiner though and may just annoy them more than anything because they have to deal with a method that isn't on the mark scheme! This method seems longer to me so it looks like a waste of time when the direct algebra method is so fast.

* there's a small chance that the examiner won't follow correct procedure and you will lose marks for this question. This is why personally I would always stick to on spec methods unless there is a very good reason not to e.g. an off spec method is much faster or you can't see any other way to do the question. Using off spec methods like you have done here just creates added risk which isn't worth it.
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Delete
Last edited by dextrous63; 3 days ago
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It might do if you had actually found the correct inverse. https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-inverse.html
It looks correct to me :confused:
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
delete
Last edited by dextrous63; 3 days ago
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Incorrect determinant value, hasn't swapped things around. Try to multiply his answer out, I get x = 31/7, not 4.5
I got 4.5. Also this:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...5B3%2C-1%5D%5D

What am I missing?
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
All this thread has taught me is that I feel robbed of a few marks because I used implicit differentiation in a tangent-to-circle equation question in one of my year 10 mocks.

Spoiler:
Show
In all seriousness I always write my method down even if I can get it done in my head just because exams are more about convincing the examiner that you deserve the marks - basically jumping through hoops. I'd rather not risk losing the marks just to show off when I know scribbling a line or two of working would guarantee marks.
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
I got 4.5. Also this:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...5B3%2C-1%5D%5D

What am I missing?
Nothing. Have completely horlicksed it.🙄
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I mean using matrices for 2 variable systems is a bit overkill ig if you have a calculator that can do matrix inverses/multiplication it might be quicker. but i think most students would just use a fairly basic fx83 at gcse level.
liamlarner
Rep:
?
Yes this should* get you all the marks. It's not going to impress an examiner though and may just annoy them more than anything because they have to deal with a method that isn't on the mark scheme! This method seems longer to me so it looks like a waste of time when the direct algebra method is so fast.

* there's a small chance that the examiner won't follow correct procedure and you will lose marks for this question. This is why personally I would always stick to on spec methods unless there is a very good reason not to e.g. an off spec method is much faster or you can't see any other way to do the question. Using off spec methods like you have done here just creates added risk which isn't worth it.
i just want to know would i get the marks because sometimes when i try to make one of the coefficients the same i mess up this is a method where i am less likely to mess up
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
i just want to know would i get the marks because sometimes when i try to make one of the coefficients the same i mess up this is a method where i am less likely to mess up
I explained this in my last post. You should get the marks but there's the risk that the examiner doesn't follow correct procedure - it's not possible to say how high this risk is.

If you are making mistakes with basic simultaneous equations then you should be focusing on fixing that instead of learning A Level methods. Using an off spec method because you make mistakes with relatively basic on spec methods is not a good reason.
liamlarner
Rep:
?
I explained this in my last post. You should get the marks but there's the risk that the examiner doesn't follow correct procedure - it's not possible to say how high this risk is.

If you are making mistakes with basic simultaneous equations then you should be focusing on fixing that instead of learning A Level methods. Using an off spec method because you make mistakes with relatively basic on spec methods is not a good reason.
ok one last question if a normal examiner did not give me the marks but i put it through a remark with a senior examiner or chief examiner marking it would they give the marks
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
ok one last question if a normal examiner did not give me the marks but i put it through a remark with a senior examiner or chief examiner marking it would they give the marks
Almost definitely yes, as long as your method was fully correct, all your working was shown and your final answer was correct.
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Almost definitely yes, as long as your method was fully correct, all your working was shown and your final answer was correct.
Mind you, the op is only likely to bother with a re-mark if he is close to (and presumably on the wrong side of) a grade boundary anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (423)
67.46%
No (204)
32.54%

Watched Threads