Lara19
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone has some advice / experience on the Uni of Birmingham vs Kings College London. I’ve got offers to study BA Modern Languages and Management at both uni’s (+ Notts and Surrey) but not sure whether to go for Birmingham or KCL.
Pros of Birmingham is that I can study 2 languages rather than just french because I do wanna learn German too. However obviously the business management modules are less in depth as it’s minored to modern languages. Overall Birmingham looks a nicer uni but I’ve heard King’s is better career wise and for global opportunities after study. Also, the course at King’s is a lot more finance/ economics orientated but Im not sure whether this or having another language would be more valuable for the future?
(As a rule of thumb I’m looking to go into government or a finance/business career with global opportunities)

Thanks guys 🙏🏻
mushroom21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey! I’m hoping to study languages at university too I guess the logical choice would be KCL since London has loads of connections, but it seems like you’re more interested in the Birmingham course so I’d honestly pick that one. You can always learn more business skills once you are part of a company (and it’d be part of your degree at either place) but they can’t teach you another language, and German is an extremely important business language. The reason why KCL is well known is in part because of its location which is really well connected to Birmingham anyway, so any jobs you want would only be a train ride away
Hope this helped a little!
Lara19
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by mushroom21)
Hey! I’m hoping to study languages at university too I guess the logical choice would be KCL since London has loads of connections, but it seems like you’re more interested in the Birmingham course so I’d honestly pick that one. You can always learn more business skills once you are part of a company (and it’d be part of your degree at either place) but they can’t teach you another language, and German is an extremely important business language. The reason why KCL is well known is in part because of its location which is really well connected to Birmingham anyway, so any jobs you want would only be a train ride away
Hope this helped a little!
Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with what you said, I think I’m going to have a look round both unis and get a better feel for them. What courses have you applied for?
mushroom21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Lara19)
Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with what you said, I think I’m going to have a look round both unis and get a better feel for them. What courses have you applied for?
yeah that’s the best idea, then you can see which vibe you prefer. I applied to do Modern Languages at Edinburgh, Newcastle, Durham, Nottingham and Newcastle and I’ve heard back from all but Edinburgh which is my top choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (543)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (662)
41.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (326)
20.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.55%

Watched Threads