Transferring masters loan to new course and university Watch

themediaman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’m currently studying a distance learning MSc part time. I’ve completed one semester but I am looking at transferring to a new course and university on distance learning part time course - I’ve had one payment of student finance already. Will I be able to use the rest of what I would have got for a new course and university? Obviously I know I wouldn’t be entitled to the full amount again, but can the loan be transferred to a new course and university?
Graeme SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by themediaman)
I’m currently studying a distance learning MSc part time. I’ve completed one semester but I am looking at transferring to a new course and university on distance learning part time course - I’ve had one payment of student finance already. Will I be able to use the rest of what I would have got for a new course and university? Obviously I know I wouldn’t be entitled to the full amount again, but can the loan be transferred to a new course and university?
Hi,

When did your distance learning MSc begin? Do you plan to transfer to the new course immediately, or will this happen later?

Thanks, Graeme
themediaman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Graeme SFE)
Hi,

When did your distance learning MSc begin? Do you plan to transfer to the new course immediately, or will this happen later?

Thanks, Graeme
Started in Oct 2019. Planning on starting new course in June 2020 or Oct 2020 at latest.
Graeme SFE
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Started in Oct 2019. Planning on starting new course in June 2020 or Oct 2020 at latest.
Thanks - so long as your original course hasn't ended and you haven't withdrawn from that course, you'll be fine to transfer. To do this, you can ask the new university to send us an electronic Change of Circumstances confirming the transfer. Once that's complete, you'll still be entitled to the remaining Postgraduate Loan that you're haven't been paid yet.

Warm regards, Graeme
themediaman
Rep:
?
I haven’t withdrawn however I have interrupted my studies, will this have an impact?
Graeme SFE
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I haven’t withdrawn however I have interrupted my studies, will this have an impact?
That should't be a problem. So long as the new university is happy to transfer to you, this will be fine.

Thanks, Graeme
themediaman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
That should't be a problem. So long as the new university is happy to transfer to you, this will be fine.

Thanks, Graeme
I am a bit confused though, when I said transferring I meant the finance being transferred - it would be a new course at a new university so not sure if this is classed as a transfer as such? As in, start date is probably October 2020 so will be starting my MSc again.
Graeme SFE
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I am a bit confused though, when I said transferring I meant the finance being transferred - it would be a new course at a new university so not sure if this is classed as a transfer as such? As in, start date is probably October 2020 so will be starting my MSc again.
Okay - in this scenario, would you withdraw from your current course, and then start the brand new course in October?

Thanks, Graeme
themediaman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Okay - in this scenario, would you withdraw from your current course, and then start the brand new course in October?

Thanks, Graeme
I would assume this is what will happen yes?
SFE Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I would assume this is what will happen yes?
Hi there,

In this case, you will not be eligible to continue to receive the Postgraduate Masters Loan (PGM).

Are there any compelling personal reasons as to why you are withdrawing from your current course?

Thanks, Ashley.
themediaman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by SFE Ashley)
Hi there,

In this case, you will not be eligible to continue to receive the Postgraduate Masters Loan (PGM).

Are there any compelling personal reasons as to why you are withdrawing from your current course?

Thanks, Ashley.
It’s a bit weird, but I have called the postgraduate line today and they said as I have interrupted my studies, and not withdrawn, I can apply snd enrol on my new course starting Oct 2020 and have the new university send you a change of circumstances form - is this the case?

My interruption of studies on current course is until January 2021...
SFE Ashley
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
It’s a bit weird, but I have called the postgraduate line today and they said as I have interrupted my studies, and not withdrawn, I can apply snd enrol on my new course starting Oct 2020 and have the new university send you a change of circumstances form - is this the case?

My interruption of studies on current course is until January 2021...
When did your original postgraduate course start? Will you be entering year 1 of a a new course is October 2020?

Thanks, Ashley.
themediaman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by SFE Ashley)
When did your original postgraduate course start? Will you be entering year 1 of a a new course is October 2020?

Thanks, Ashley.
Original started Oct 2019. I will be entering a new course either June 2020 or Oct 2020. Your postgraduate advisor was sure that despite me starting a new course in October 2020, as I won’t have withdrawn from previous course and I am just on an interruption, the rest of my loan could be transferred over?

If I started a new course in June 2020, would this change things? Or should I understand that because I will be starting year one of a new course, despite when it starts, my loan cannot be transferred?
SFE Ashley
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Original started Oct 2019. I will be entering a new course either June 2020 or Oct 2020. Your postgraduate advisor was sure that despite me starting a new course in October 2020, as I won’t have withdrawn from previous course and I am just on an interruption, the rest of my loan could be transferred over?

If I started a new course in June 2020, would this change things? Or should I understand that because I will be starting year one of a new course, despite when it starts, my loan cannot be transferred?
You are not able to transfer to a course which starts in a different academic year. If you transfer to a course which starts in June 2020, this will still be classed as the 2019/20 academic year, so this would be okay, as long as the course is eligible for funding.

If you were to transfer to the course starting in October 2020, this would be classed as the 2020/21 academic year, and therefore you cannot transfer to a new course starting in this academic year.

Thanks, Ashley.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (250)
66.67%
No (125)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed