I am an adult but my mum still tells me what to do Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I am 19 and I live with my mum as I am doing my a levels in college as I was too unwell last year to sit all the exams. I am getting annoyed with my mum she is so controlling like I can never eat what I want because eating bread will make me fat she claims and I should eat porridge despite me not craving porridge for example. Everything I do in her eyes is wrong, she complains about everything I do, I feel like I am walking on egg shells in my own home.

If I fold my clothes she complains that they are not folded properly or when I get dressed she still tries to tell me what to wear for example and complains that my clothes don't match and I should wear x instead. It is really annoying me as I feel she is too controlling I should be able to wear what I want, eat what I want etc. I feel like she is constantly putting me down as nothing I ever do is any good in her opinion.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am 19 and I live with my mum
/thread.

Sorry, but if you don't like being told to do stuff by your mum 'because you're an adult' then perhaps you need to be more like an adult, move out to your own place and pay your own bills etc. You can then behave exactly as you choose in your own house. But whilst you're still at Mums, and Mum pays the bills, it's Mums Rules.

That's kinda how it works.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
/thread.

Sorry, but if you don't like being told to do stuff by your mum 'because you're an adult' then perhaps you need to be more like an adult, move out to your own place and pay your own bills etc. You can then behave exactly as you choose in your own house. But whilst you're still at Mums, and Mum pays the bills, it's Mums Rules.

That's kinda how it works.
Yep, My mum and me weren't able to relate to each other as equals till after i'd got the hell out the house

And OP? "I feel like I am walking on egg shells in my own home"? unless you're the one who bought/pays for it, this statement is daft.
Last edited by StriderHort; 5 days ago
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Speaking as a mum I agree with the other comments to some extent. My sons are still at home and they’re older than you and working.
They live in my house and have to abide by my house rules. I don’t think I’ve ever told them what to wear or what to eat. I prefer to remind them this is not a hotel and if they don’t want to eat what’s made then they feed themselves for example.
I think you just phrased it badly when referring to it being your own home. It is your home and a place where you should be happy
I think there is a compromise to be reached but it involves you having a proper talk.
You say you’ve been unwell so there may be some underlying concerns for your health as well.
Go out for coffee and talk it through. Without accusations
Last edited by Sammylou40; 5 days ago
SlasherHacks13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Tell her.
I agree with Reality Check, StriderHort, and Sammylou40. If you would like to be treated as an adult, act like one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (238)
66.11%
No (122)
33.89%

Watched Threads