dibibi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I'm asking for my son but don't tell him
We live in France. Here secondary school ends at y12, which is a year earlier than in UK, to my understanding. Does this mean that my son would have a year after the Baccalaureat to complete the entry requirements (STEP basically, or does he have to take international A levels too?)) and apply? it would be handy for him to have that time, but not if considered a gap year, which would be good to have available later on for an eventual retry.
Also, he's one year early, and he wouldn't be 18 by december 2021, don't know if it matters at all.
arshakshahr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by dibibi)
We live in France. Here secondary school ends at y12, which is a year earlier than in UK, to my understanding. Does this mean that my son would have a year after the Baccalaureat to complete the entry requirements (STEP basically, or does he have to take international A levels too?)) and apply? it would be handy for him to have that time, but not if considered a gap year, which would be good to have available later on for an eventual retry.
Also, he's one year early, and he wouldn't be 18 by december 2021, don't know if it matters at all.
I'm not really sure about the bacc. qualification and interantional qualifications, but after he finished y12, he will have until about the end of the year to apply to Uni like December or something with UCAS. That means he probably won't be able to do any proper qualifications like international A levels by the time he applies but it does give him time to get like work experience and other stuff.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You can check the entry qualifications for French applicants here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/france

And yes any offer will include a STEP requirement (usually 1,1 in STEP II and III).

What age will he be by December 2021. If it's a few months short of 18 it's not a problem.
dibibi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Thank you for the replies!
So, given that his baccalaureat is in june 2021, he will not have to send the application until october 2021, is that correct? and that should give him good time to prepare for the interview in december 2021 and for the STEP in june 2022. And in the link they say he doesn't have to take any international A-levels. Very good grades at the Baccalaureat are all he needs.
He was born in august 2004, so by dic 2021 (interview time) he would be 8 months short of 18, but he would be well into 18 by the beginning of the courses. It should work fine, right?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you for the replies!
So, given that his baccalaureat is in june 2021, he will not have to send the application until october 2021, is that correct? and that should give him good time to prepare for the interview in december 2021 and for the STEP in june 2022. And in the link they say he doesn't have to take any international A-levels. Very good grades at the Baccalaureat are all he needs.
He was born in august 2004, so by dic 2021 (interview time) he would be 8 months short of 18, but he would be well into 18 by the beginning of the courses. It should work fine, right?
No he should apply in October 2020 with predicted grades for his Back. So potential interviews in Nov/Dec 2020 (if shortlisted for interview) and STEP in June 2021 if he gets an offer.

His age isn't a major problem.

And if he doesn't get an offer first time he can always reapply with Bacc grades achieved during a gap year.
Last edited by Doones; 3 days ago
dibibi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Oh ok, are you sure? because arshakshahr said differently... wouldn't it be a bit "unjust" that the french have to apply at y12?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Oh ok, are you sure? because arshakshahr said differently... wouldn't it be a bit "unjust" that the french have to apply at y12?
Am I sure about what?

Nearly everyone applies with predicted grades. It's standard practice in the UK education system.
dibibi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I meant: are you sure that he would have to apply in october 2020 and not in october 2021?
I already explained the reasons why I asked. Predicted grades are not the issue.

Maybe better I email the admission office.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (244)
66.3%
No (124)
33.7%

Watched Threads