The Student Room Group

a-level chemistry aqa help

1,6-Diaminohexane can also be formed in a two-stage synthesis starting from 1,4-dibromobutane.
Suggest the reagent and a condition for each stage in this alternative synthesis.
Stage 1 reagent and condition:
Stage 2 reagent and condition:

im so confused
The first stage is to extend the carbon chain from a length of four carbon atoms (i.e. butane) to a length of six carbon atoms (i.e. hexane)
This requires a nucleophilic substitution reaction, in which both bromine atoms are replaced by nitrile groups; using ethanolic KCN under reflux should suffice

The second stage is to convert the two nitrile groups to amine groups, by reducing them with H2 and a catalyst (you may notice that this is hydrogenation)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kian Stevens
The first stage is to extend the carbon chain from a length of four carbon atoms (i.e. butane) to a length of six carbon atoms (i.e. hexane)
This requires a nucleophilic substitution reaction, in which both bromine atoms are replaced by nitrile groups; using ethanolic KCN under reflux should suffice

The second stage is to convert the two nitrile groups to amine groups, by reducing them using H2 and a catalyst (you may notice that this is hydrogenation)

thanks so much you're a life saver

Quick Reply

Latest