English Masters(1550-1700) at Oxford Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Do all the students who get accepted at oxford in the english mst course(1550-1700) hold a first class in their undergraduate degree? Or are there exceptions?

Or is grade(a first class) the final word to get an offer?

I'm extremely confused and would like to have appropriate answers.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do all the students who get accepted at oxford in the english mst course(1550-1700) hold a first class in their undergraduate degree? Or are there exceptions?

Or is grade(a first class) the final word to get an offer?

I'm extremely confused and would like to have appropriate answers.
"a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject."

I would assume every application is assessed seperatly, it says on the course page this is a good course to build a strong foundation for doctoral studies, hence I suspect that if you dont have a 1st its not the end of the world (providing you have a strong resume overall).

Also worth noting they have 67 places this year, and on average they only get 71 applications so pretty close a place for every applicant (it doesnt say the offer rate, so they may not feel the need to fill the course up).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by mnot)
"a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject."

Also worth noting they have 67 places this year, and on average they only get 71 applications so pretty close a place for every applicant (it doesnt say the offer rate, so they may not feel the need to fill the course up).
Thanks for your reply!
But it seems the figure of places shown on each English mst course page is the "combined figure for all English Masters courses" and not the individual number of places for different ones.
Added to that, I saw here few students saying they were rejected despite securing a first class; so I was eventually perplexed a little.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thanks for your reply!
But it seems the figure of places shown on each English mst course page is the "combined figure for all English Masters courses" and not the individual number of places for different ones.
Added to that, I saw here few students saying they were rejected despite securing a first class; so I was eventually perplexed a little.
This does not surprise me, its very possible they had good academics but their application was lacking in other areas, im sure Oxford has a series of measurable and undergrad degree score is one of them.

I do think not having a first might make it substantially harder, as they will expect more from other areas of the application.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
This does not surprise me, its very possible they had good academics but their application was lacking in other areas, im sure Oxford has a series of measurable and undergrad degree score is one of them.

I do think not having a first might make it substantially harder, as they will expect more from other areas of the application.
Thanks once again for the clarification! But since I am an International student(Indian) I fear how my grades and SOP will be assessed. Although, there are Indian equivalent marks given on their page which is more or less the same as the uk's in my university achieving a grade equivalent to a uk first is something solely impossible. No arts student in history has yet achieved 70% in their undergraduate degree. This made me hopeless while considering to apply to Oxford.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thanks once again for the clarification! But since I am an International student(Indian) I fear how my grades and SOP will be assessed. Although, there are Indian equivalent marks given on their page which is more or less the same as the uk's in my university achieving a grade equivalent to a uk first is something solely impossible. No arts student in history has yet achieved 70% in their undergraduate degree. This made me hopeless while considering to apply to Oxford.
I highly doubt that its the case: "No arts student in history has yet achieved 70% in their undergraduate degree"

If you are in the top 5% of the applicant pool academically for India's grade system Oxford will likely be aware your performance is strong and will weight the performance accordingly.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
I highly doubt that its the case: "No arts student in history has yet achieved 70% in their undergraduate degree"

If you are in the top 5% of the applicant pool academically for India's grade system Oxford will likely be aware your performance is strong and will weight the performance accordingly.
I assure you it is the case. I am a final year student of University of Calcutta, India which rewards only 66-67% grades to its toppers on an average. Science students score much much more without any doubt, but sadly enough, students of few specific subjects, like English or Political Science, can hardly score any better. I know it sounds bizarre but it's the truth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (231)
66.96%
No (114)
33.04%

Watched Threads