Durham vs Birmingham vs Exeter - Liberal Arts Watch

anks010
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I have received offer to study Liberal Arts (English literature as major) as an undergraduate at Durham (Trevelyan College), Exeter, Birmingham, Leeds & Bristol. Apart from English literature I would like to study Sociology, Philosophy, Psychology, IR, Creative writing, classics & Visual Arts as an optional module. Session start- Sep,2020
I am from India and bit shy in nature.
Can't visit the universities in open days.
Making the biggest decision of my life.
Appreciate your suggestion and opinion to select the best university for me.
Any feedback on Durham Trevelyan College?
Last edited by anks010; 4 days ago
Muser99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anks010)
I have received offer to study Liberal Arts (English literature as major) as an undergraduate at Durham (Trevelyan College), Exeter, Birmingham, Leeds & Bristol. Apart from English literature I would like to study Sociology, Philosophy, Psychology, IR, Creative writing, classics & Visual Arts as an optional module. Session start- Sep,2020
I am from India and bit shy in nature.
Can't visit the universities in open days.
Making the biggest decision of my life.
Appreciate your suggestion and opinion to select the best university for me.
Any feedback on Durham Trevelyan College?
I cannot comment apart from Durham as my daughter did not visit the other universities you mention. One of the reasons my daughter liked Durham was the college system she is also quite shy and felt that the college system at Durham would be more welcoming than just a standard hall of residence. Durham is a fairly quiet compact city (for nightlife most go into nearby Newcastle) so you will see people you know often when walking about. Trevalyn is a fairly small college you normally share a room for a few weeks as all first years take a turn. It seemed a v friendly college and in a good location. Birmingham Bristol and Leeds are big cities full of nightlife ( if you like that sort of thing) but the accomodation blocks are scattered around the city. Exeter I know nothing about at all.
Taken from Trevalyn website
"We are the smallest of the University's maintained colleges and most of our facilities and accommodation are housed under one roof, in a building that is quite literally built to build community. The eye-catching hexagonal architecture means that rooms are arranged into groups of 6, around communal landing spaces. This creates an instant connection with those living around you, and results in life-long and meaningful relationships with fellow Trevelyanites."
Last edited by Muser99; 4 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
I suggest you go on youtube and look at the varous university videos (Durham will also have a college one for Trevs) to give yourself a better idea of the cities and universities you have chosen. Academically they are all good so look at the course detail very carefully as each Liberal arts course will be different in what it offers. Exeter is v different to Durham location wise as they are practically opposite ends of the country and no matter where you are in the UK it will be cold in comparison to India.
anks010
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Thank you so much
Anonymous #1
Report 1 day ago
It may be also worth considering which airports offer flights to/ from India to near the University for example for Durham University Newcastle airport is closest and only 30 mins away then Manchester and Edinburgh are approx 2- 2.5 hours away by train. Birmingham I know has a good sized airport which probably has flights to India whilst Bristol and Exeter are smaller airports so may not offer flights to India so you would possibly have to travel via the London ones.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (225)
67.57%
No (108)
32.43%

Watched Threads