Cyeol61
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have written two short stories for my Eng Lang coursework and need to complete a commentary. I've been given a simple structure by my teacher and have written out annotations for the style models that influenced my writing.
However, I'm here asking for help because I'm struggling. My word limit is 1000 and I'm currently a little over half way, and yet I haven't finished talking about my first piece!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! (Oh and our exam board is AQA!)
Angus M
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I can't really help very specifically, but my tip for word limits is always just write it. Just write down everything you need to say so all your thoughts are there (it will very likely be over the word limit). Then take each paragraph at a time--work out the word count, and set yourself little targets for chipping away at the word count. If your first paragraph is currently at 112 words, set a target of 100. Follow that example with all your paragraphs and you'll already have lost a lot of words.

When you're considering what to cut, think about which parts of your commentary really answer the question in the most useful way. Where is your analysis strongest? Where did you come up with an idea that you're really happy with? Those are the parts to keep--and for whatever's left, you need to be a little bit brutal and consider is this REALLY necessary to my answer?

Another great way to cut the word count is just by rephrasing sentences--it'll make your commentary feel a lot more pacy and cut down the words whilst still packing in ideas. But again, my top tip is to get all your ideas on the page first, then chip away at it until you've got a really great, focused, streamlined piece.

Another great way to cut down your word count is just to simply rephrase what you're trying to say. (19 words)
You can also cut down your word count by simply rephrasing what you're trying to say. (16 words)
You can also reduce the word count by rephrasing what you want to say. (14 words)
You can also reduce the word count by rephrasing sentences. (10 words)

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Cyeol61
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Angus M)
Hi! I can't really help very specifically, but my tip for word limits is always just write it. Just write down everything you need to say so all your thoughts are there (it will very likely be over the word limit). Then take each paragraph at a time--work out the word count, and set yourself little targets for chipping away at the word count. If your first paragraph is currently at 112 words, set a target of 100. Follow that example with all your paragraphs and you'll already have lost a lot of words.

When you're considering what to cut, think about which parts of your commentary really answer the question in the most useful way. Where is your analysis strongest? Where did you come up with an idea that you're really happy with? Those are the parts to keep--and for whatever's left, you need to be a little bit brutal and consider is this REALLY necessary to my answer?

Another great way to cut the word count is just by rephrasing sentences--it'll make your commentary feel a lot more pacy and cut down the words whilst still packing in ideas. But again, my top tip is to get all your ideas on the page first, then chip away at it until you've got a really great, focused, streamlined piece.

Another great way to cut down your word count is just to simply rephrase what you're trying to say. (19 words)
You can also cut down your word count by simply rephrasing what you're trying to say. (16 words)
You can also reduce the word count by rephrasing what you want to say. (14 words)
You can also reduce the word count by rephrasing sentences. (10 words)

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Thank you!
I'm procrastinating a little bit what with it being half term and all (I know this is probably prime time to complete it...) but this is really helpful so thank you for taking the time to reply!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (262)
61.36%
Yes- I don't like it (20)
4.68%
No- I want it (114)
26.7%
No- I don't want it (31)